Partridge Rock Growth

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kesali, Jun 25, 2011.

1. kesali

kesali Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    far northern Wisconsin
    My chicks from Meyer are seven weeks old. I have SLWs, BRs, and Partridge Rocks. The partridge rocks are about 2/3 the size of the SLWs and BRs. Do the partridges tend to grow slower? They do not seem to have any health problems.

2. msbee

msbee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    MN
    Hey, I have the same question! Mine are smaller too - we just noticed it today as we spent time with them. [​IMG]

3. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Mine are also smaller.

4. DEchick

DEchick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    I also have some partridge rocks that are smaller (and sweeter!) than everyone else their age. Maybe its normal.

5. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    I have 3 PR's from Meyers, all 3 were pretty much the same as the others girls we have but were a little smaller by age 8wks but then caught up again at 20wks, maybe they are just a little slower to mature than the other girls? Give them some time and they will catch up quick.

6. haemony

haemony Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2011
    WV
    They do catch up. I think they mature a bit slower. My Barred Rocks are only 10 days older than my Partridge Rocks but have been much bigger up until a few weeks ago. They are all now around 19 to 20 weeks old and about the same size.

7. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    I have on my blog back in the start where I weighed in my chicks. Link for blog is in my sig. PR are going to be a slower growing breed for they are duel purpose and the older lines due grow slower. This is a good thing not bad. They will also take longer to lay. But will live longer and lay longer than most other breeds.

8. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:I have not raised PR from chicks, but I do have PR hen, and she is the same size as my White Rock and almost as big as my Black Copper Marans hens. I agree that they are a slower growing breed, but will catch up with the rest.

9. Raen

Raen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Missouri
    Mine from Ideal is a runt. At 19 weeks, she's just now almost as big as my other ladies. She's also mentally slow, unfortunately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by