Partridge rocks feathers

Come on NYRED - watching for your answer.

What I do know with 23 of the suckers from 3 different groups - they're not all alike. Some are much more like dark cornish or dark brahma, some are finer and lighter, some have break through coloring (production quality showing) where they should be solid.

As mine feather out there are definitie differences. What's correct on an adult show bird you don't see on the little wiffle puffs. Not for awhile at least.

Is there an online study or comparison of partridge, correct and not, types and not? Of course not. I'm trying to put together a chick to juvenille to adult record for myself. Few if any standards have been rendered for online detail comparison. Some breeds have good photo records. Others not so much.

So - if you've got good close feather photos - let's compare. I'll dig out the camera and pin down the chicks the next time the sun is good.

I've found two or three people with some show bred chicks for sale. So eventually I also have those for comparison.

I finally get them all out in the coop and now people have chicks I want. It just never ends LOL.

Mybe I'll wait a few months toward spring...

Maybe.

Quote:
That was my answer-Partridge is what you call the feather pattern on a Partridge Rock.
big_smile.png

You're asking a whole different question & one I can't come up with a flippant answer to-darn it.
Some earlier editions of the ASOP show photographic illustrations of the Partridge feather pattern & some even show the various colour variations it comes in. I don't know of an online source that has anything similar.
Here's a link to the Plymouth Rock Fanciers Club Bulletin Board-someone on there may be able to help. I don't breed anything Partridge any more so have nothing to take pictures of that will help you.

To be technical partridge is a pencilled feather alot like the dark brahma coloring. The only difference is that dark brahmas are black and white while partridge rocks are red and black. Over in the UK and alot of Europe partridge is used to describe black breasted red or wild type coloring. They call our partridge that is found in rocks and such red pencilled or something like that.

I feel like someone tracking TP on a shoe to bring this into the conversation, but here goes, on the recollection of "partridge feathers". Do not mean to hijack the thread, so please don't be interrupted if you aren't into something slightly OT. Sounds like a lot of "guys" here, though not all, so it may not go over well as a "girl's' concern.

Anyway, about 15 years ago, part of my divorce involved leaving a set of my chickens behind, and one of those dear chickens behind that I'd gotten attached to (same person, after all!). I can't tell you how many "brown chickens" I've bought this year trying to figure out what she was, from partridge rocks to Welsummers to partridge cochins - etc. Still have not got it right - just do not KNOW what she could have been, maybe a dark cornish with partridge feathers? Maybe a partridge chantecler? Never had a picture and even my memory has faded so I distrust if I'd recognize one like her, though I think I would. I do believe she was very large - larger than a partridge rock, FOR SURE, and really handsome in a partridge kind of way. Wish I knew.... I do know her hackles were lighter than the rest of her body and there was black edging the brown feathers, and she was not a GLW because I've bought those, too. Just a story though I know there aren't that many kinds of chickens she could have been and I've likely looked amongst the obvious ones - just in case anyone has an idea of something else to try with a partridge feather.

I might have solved my own problem just now via reading the "What color is my wyandotte?" thread - maybe partridge wyandotte, if those can be good-sized/kind of hefty?

Wyandottes (good ones) are usually big, broad bodied fluffy butts. There are bantams as well, but they look more like clean legged Cochins to me.

In response to your comment in the other thread:

Actually, yes, there are RLW -- the result of two BLRW's producing black laced offspring. (Actual blues only, not splashes.) I have one myself, and she's gorgeous, although not a desirable offspring of the blue mating. Supposedly, their lacing isn't as good as the blue laced, but mine actually has better lacing than any of my dark blues. The difference between the gold and red laced is that the red have the mahogany gene that makes them dark red like RIR's. I'll try to get a pic of her tomorrow.

Dont mean to steal the thread but about the WLR's they have them in bantam that look great. The WLR rooster that I had was dominant white lacing, when we crossed him to some GL hens all chicks were WLR or WLG (white laced gold) with some black flecks in the white lacing.

Back
Top Bottom