Partridge Rocks or bust / cochin folks? updated see post.

Quote:
I raised up a bunch of partridge rocks this spring to sell - I couldn't hardly give them away - no one around here wants them
hmm.png

in my area they all want barred rocks.

meri

I found some PR eggs on ebay. They didn't develop well at all. I got one chick that I'm still waiting to sex.
hit.gif

I think more backyards need PRs and thought about raising up a breeding flock myself. I saw one hen in a mixed flock. She is gorgeous. I need to find out what hatchery she came from.

Try contacting this guy. As far as I know he still has them & I've seen his Partridge Rocks on Champion Row several times.

S. Robert Powell RD #1, Box 40 , Carbondale, PA 18407-9706 570/282-5197

Thanks to Purely Poultry I hope I've found a source for eggs from show birds. I've sold all but one of my PR hens - when the Roo I kept through nothing but females with shafted (light) feathers.
he.gif
so I scrapped the lot...

Fuss. Oh well, dedication includes mass culling.

I can not remember which breeder told me this but, the stipling you see in juvi feathers as long as the pattern is there disappears when adult feathers comes in. This is not the stipling that comes with the Welsumer. I have since read the same thing by another heritage breeder. You might have just culled a whole flock for no reason. This is one of the reason all the breeders I have talked to say not to cull till after adult feathering, when dealing with this pattern.

Quote:
This is true. Juvenille plumage is very different from adult plumage in the Partridge pattern.

Quote:
It's not stipling and it's not juvenille feathers - all the shoulder and back feathers are shafted aka LIGHT shafted. Like a Welsummer. Welsummer feathers on a partridge rock are a DQ.

I know what stipling is, I know it often is not present after mature first molt, which I why I held two generations for so long. I kept one hen to watch through her last molt. Nope still shafted. Sold.

Juvenille stipling isn't the same as stipled mature feathering that indicates incomplete pattern gene.

Incomplete pattern gene stipling was also present here in the beginning flock and I weeded out those. I had no interest in perpetuating a flock, heritage or otherwise that was incomplete for Pg. The one hen I am keeping is complete Pg and pretty for hatchery stock. And she's a pet.

Back
Top Bottom