Partridge Rocks or bust / cochin folks? updated see post.

walkswithdog

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 17, 2008
DC Region
After almost a year in search of someone with an actual group of SQ LF Partridge Rocks, the entire community agrees, those holding them have one or two or a few. No one is holding a good sized group or flock. The one guy who does have some had a crappy year for eggs/hatching so he's NONE available.

That's it. That's just not right. I'm not waiting to find show birds. I'm going to start with hatchery and the one heritage breeder and work upwards. I found a guy with show whites and some interest in helping out. I found the article on the color's development and have written asking for any further information. Crohio's Plymouth Rock Club really has tried to be helpful. Big zero, despite calls and emails and lots of people trying to be helpful. I will probably be able to get a show cockeral or cock next year with any luck.

So no rock eggs for the bator. But hatchery chicks due late this month. I'll use them and the whites, order a few Sandhill chicks when the season hits to see if they're holding better quality. Order from the one heritage flock in Oregon and see what they have. I'm going fishing for chickens!

And I'll cull and work on meaties and just WORK at it. Somebody needs to, it seems a shame that I can't find them in at least a few places doing well.

On the bator side of the thing I've been just checking my hygrometers indoors. Sigh, my home interior humidity runs from 60-75. I bet I won't be adding much water to that bator if I ever do get eggs.

One of the dogs had to go to the vet. No eggs of other breeds for me until the first of the month at least. Titan is developing spinal arthritis and he needed pred and more meds yesterday. It sucks. But that's aging for you.

I'll need a lot of help, but hey, you nutcases are already inmates. You'll be here when I need you. Chuckle.

Last edited:
So you didn't think using a partridge Cochin was a good idea hmmm, even though it was used to actually create the variety you are most interested in.

If I could make a suggestion, since you are looking at years before you know if you made the right choice , you might think of starting with 2 groups, one using hatchery rocks with good quality white roo. The other group , hatchery hens with good Cochin. All you would need to have in the Cochin is good feathering, the comb and size, leg color etc, not important, since you will be breeding these traits out any way. Even a undersized Cochin will give the right size and chest, and shorten the back (most hatchery wyandottes have way to long of a back). Just a suggestion.

Good luck.

Oh Oh, well I didn't mention the cochins did I?

I did, I did find someone. Well, he said he had a few young ones. But then he hasn't written back and I'm AFRAID to hope.

I want to believe he'll write me back. He's got some nice birds, really nice partridge cochins. I would love to have them. Did I mention he hasn't written back?

I was hoping to use whites and the partridge cochins. But lately my luck has been a bit bare.

I would like to ask if anyone has partridge cochins on the board. That would help and I'd prefer to deal with the folks I know here.

Should I/can I, use another color, buff or? Since I'm willing to use a white rock. I suppose I have my answer, don't I?

Pardon my wits, they're a few sleepless nights left of center.

Anyone? I don't know if that fella will ever email me back.

I have some beautiful partridge cochins. They have lots of feathering and are sweethearts. I don't ship grown birds though. And it takes a good year after you hatch cochins before they start laying.

Who have you contacted for cochins? I bet Tom Roebuck or Matt Lhamon could help you locate someone. You can contact them thru Cochins International.

Good Luck

ETA If you do not have the Poultry Press then you should sign up for it.

Last edited:
Matt was the one who put me in touch with the guy from cochins international. The one who hasn't got back to me yet.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I think asking here is a good idea.

Even people with great birds need to place them now and then.

I really really appreciate all the thoughts.

Well, I had people trying to track Bill Kruegers PRs. Here's my luck.

Butch Gunderson got all of Bill Kruegers Partridge Rocks. Then Butch sold the majority of the Good ones from Bill Krueger to Doug Kreidler and after Doug got them he eliminated all of them except for 1 or 2 birds that he's going to put into he birds he got from me. The reason I know this is all three of these fellows are close friends of mine. Rod

That's three guys who WERE holding good PRs not holding any now.

Oh yeah, I can color this a real project. On the other hand I have several offers of cochins, and am getting dorking eggs in Oct.

On a super happy note I just asked a neighbor about his downed barn and am getting a spitload of FREE LUMBER.

I'll have the wood for extra coops for free! And bless him, roof tin too.

I have a partridge cochin rooster and have had NO LUCK trying to find the female counterpart. Is there a protocol for "putting roosters to stud" with outside hens? I know he's fertilizing our red stars' eggs and if someone in Michigan had partridge cochin hens, I would gladly led him cover the hens if they would give us a few chicks in return.

Back
Top Bottom