Slothinc

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Hello all!
I set a batch of eggs on Mar 1! They should be popping out of their eggs sometime around March 22.

Seven of the eggs are from a silkied Easter egger hen X silkied EE roo. Both white. Hoping to incorporate these into a project for blue egg laying silkies. The eggs are a gorgeous light blue color and just a tiny bit larger than the silkie eggs. The babies will all be white, as both parents are white. They came from a BYC member and I’m so excited to hatch them. Upon first candling 4 eggs are definitely developing. One is for sure no, and the other two I think no, but could be wrong. Anyways, I am thrilled to have 4 developing!!

The other 19 eggs in my incubator came from Bobbi Porto of Indigoegg. I have wanted her eggs for years! She is so sweet and great to work with! Sadly, only 7 of the eggs were showing development on first candling. They were obviously put through the wringer during their shipment. Many detached air cells. A few blood rings, so the issue was definitely not fertility, but poor USPS handling. They also did not hold at my post office despite her writing in large letters to hold it. Urg. But anyways, I’m glad that some are developing! I have 6 blue creams (which was the bulk of my order because that’s the color I want most!) and 1 lemon cuckoo! It is going to be an exciting hatch in two weeks :)

I am hatching about the 10th batch of shipped eggs. I usually ran around 70% hatch rate on those. This year though, I'm lucky to get half.

For one thing, their Priority Mail has been slower (maybe just here in Wisconsin). Like I really think I could ship a box regular mail, and it would get there within a week. The problem then is no tracking.

Ah well, that said. Here's hoping you get a whopping number of chicks from your shipped eggs!! 🎉

I’ll hopefully be hatching along with you this month! I set 20 silkie eggs yesterday - 14 from my paint pen and 6 from my mixed colour flock.

Not at all sure about fertilization rate as most of my hens are young and started laying in early January, so big question mark on how many will hatch.

I’m very impatiently waiting for day 8 to candle!

Good luck on your hatch!

@Debbie292d do you have any suggestions for your favorite silkie egg shippers? (Sorry I know this is off topic, maybe it should have been a private message?) I will be looking for some eggs to put in my incubator after this batch hatches. Especially interested in lavenders! But all fun colors or beautiful birds would be great. I agree about priority mail being weird. For the eggs sent from Bobbi, they didn’t update tracking even one time in a 2-3 day time period. It was very strange and a little nerve wracking.

@Elliemae1984 Oh that sounds like such an exciting batch!! I adore paint silkies. I attempted to hatch a bunch of paints in my last batch of shipped eggs but unfortunately the paint eggs did not do well and most didn’t hatch, and the 3 that did were blacks, of course haha.

@Debbie292d do you have any suggestions for your favorite silkie egg shippers? (Sorry I know this is off topic, maybe it should have been a private message?) I will be looking for some eggs to put in my incubator after this batch hatches. Especially interested in lavenders! But all fun colors or beautiful birds would be great. I agree about priority mail being weird. For the eggs sent from Bobbi, they didn’t update tracking even one time in a 2-3 day time period. It was very strange and a little nerve wracking.
It's your thread, nothing is off-topic if you so choose. :highfive:

Yes. If you want fancy higher quality silkies, I have some but not selling eggs as I'm hatching them right now. I got them from https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100064876592626 I had picked mine up but I know she ships.

I also bought eggs twice (cuckoo/buff/etc) from https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090282953378 Tell Meagan that Debbie sent you. ☺️

And, for paints, I turned to this lady on eBay. I've bought two batches from her, the first batch I have 6 out of 12 making it to lockdown due to hatch tomorrow. https://www.ebay.com/usr/thesilkiechick I just looked and she's not selling any right now. If you check later, watch her posts as she does sell some pet-quality ones I wasn't interested in.

@Elliemae1984 Oh that sounds like such an exciting batch!! I adore paint silkies. I attempted to hatch a bunch of paints in my last batch of shipped eggs but unfortunately the paint eggs did not do well and most didn’t hatch, and the 3 that did were blacks, of course haha.
I LOVE paints too and my last hatch (shipped eggs) all my girls were black and my only paint was a roo. So I’m REALLY hoping for some paint pullets 🤞🏼

I LOVE paints too and my last hatch (shipped eggs) all my girls were black and my only paint was a roo. So I’m REALLY hoping for some paint pullets 🤞🏼
Oh, your black one carries paint though. You can breed it to any solid and should get paint chicks if I'm not mistaken.

Paint to paint = 50% paint, 25% white, 25% black.
Black to paint = 50% paint and 50% black.
White to paint = 50% paint and 50% white.
Dominant white to black = 100% paint.
White is two copies of dominate white
Paint is one copy of white
Black is no copy of white

Oh, your black one carries paint though. You can breed it to any solid and should get paint chicks if I'm not mistaken.

Paint to paint = 50% paint, 25% white, 25% black.
Black to paint = 50% paint and 50% black.
White to paint = 50% paint and 50% white.
Dominant white to black = 100% paint.
White is two copies of dominate white
Paint is one copy of white
Black is no copy of white
I have a black hen and a white hen in with a paint roo and a black roo ( in this particular pen (both blacks from paint pens). But I’m almost certain the white is recessive so no idea what her chicks will look like (if any hatch). I’m hoping my paint roo was hitting the mark with my black hen 🤞🏼 but even if it was the black roo I’ll be happy with their chicks

Back
Top Bottom