Partridge Rocks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KnoxvilleGirl, Feb 22, 2014.

1. KnoxvilleGirl

KnoxvilleGirl New Egg

Nov 9, 2013
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Our local feed store has Partridge Rock chicks available, and I'm considering getting two of them. I can't find too much about this breed online so I'm hoping some BYC members who have owned Partridge Rocks can tell me what they're like. Do you think they would make good chickens for a city, backyard flock? Do they lay well? How soon do they start laying? And last, at what age can you usually tell whether they're pullets or cockerels? Thank you!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    There is a fairly long thread on them in the breeds section you might like to check out. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/456704/partridge-rock-thread I've had some from McMurray hatchery, pretty typical Rocks whatever the color ... they were nice birds, nice temperaments no problem with other birds, the ones I had were fairly quiet, still have one and never remember she is there she is so quiet. They feather color is pretty. The girls laid decently 4-5/eggs a week when going good, average age about starting, would say around 5 months, eggs were close to large and medium brown after the pullet eggs, girls are decent size, about 7lbs. You should know pretty well if you have a roo by 8-12 weeks, most of the time sooner but sometimes you get a late bloomer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by