Partridge silkie gender id

In all honesty most not all, but most silkies are not frequent crowers.
I have heard my silkie crow 3 times.....that is when he and his hen were in my backyard without the rest of the flock there.

I never heard my silkie crow again. I think since my Japanese bantam, the smallest bird in the flock, is the highest in the pecking order, leading ALL of my flock members, I don't think he allows my roo to crow. crowing means dominance to my leading roo, so he doesn't allow my other roo to do it. also I think if my jap saw my silkie crow he would decide to hve a well fought cock fight.

for now, my rooster is still with my other birds but soon silkies will over run the entire coop. some are hatching on the 1st.
smile.png

my roo

my Japanese bantam roo. (he is so small you can hold him in one hand.)

Last edited:
I am 100 percent sure that the last pic, shows two males,( Left) and a pullet on the right. she is also in the first pic. you can clearly see how much of a difference in comb growth, also, she is more rounded, and you can sorta see in the crest. With Silkies with small crests, usually the male's crest will slick back, and you can see long shiney feathers streaming behind the crest. usually with females they have a more rounded crest, fuller, and little to no streamers( Yes I have seen females with streamers)

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year.:]

I have heard my silkie crow 3 times.....that is when he and his hen were in my backyard without the rest of the flock there.

I never heard my silkie crow again. I think since my Japanese bantam, the smallest bird in the flock, is the highest in the pecking order, leading ALL of my flock members, I don't think he allows my roo to crow. crowing means dominance to my leading roo, so he doesn't allow my other roo to do it. also I think if my jap saw my silkie crow he would decide to hve a well fought cock fight.

for now, my rooster is still with my other birds but soon silkies will over run the entire coop. some are hatching on the 1st.
smile.png

my roo

my Japanese bantam roo. (he is so small you can hold him in one hand.)
I love Japs, Your guy is a handsome one!

awe! thanks! I love him too! he is my fav. he is super dooper sweet!
People think Bantams are all mean, I had ONE Partridge Wyandotte Bantam that was awful, she would bite me so much, so I had a glove when I reached my hand in the pen, well....she would bite and hold on....I didn't know what her deal was....so I ate her... other then that, never had a mean chicken what so ever. and bantams are sweeter in my opinion.

People think Bantams are all mean, I had ONE Partridge Wyandotte Bantam that was awful, she would bite me so much, so I had a glove when I reached my hand in the pen, well....she would bite and hold on....I didn't know what her deal was....so I ate her... other then that, never had a mean chicken what so ever. and bantams are sweeter in my opinion.

yeah. I love my bantams. they are not very mean....I just have one hen that flogs me.....its bad. and I don't want to eat her.....she is too pretty and lays too may eggs for having only 3 hens.

PS> I LOVE YOUR LACED GAL IN YOUR PROFILE PIC!!!!
love.gif
gorgeous! I want her! haha

Last edited:
I have a only ever had one mean bantam. He is an ameraucana bantam. i stick my arm in his cage to grab the food and waterer and he grabs on to my sleeve and wont let go. guess who is going to the butcher come spring. It is a shame too, because he is pretty and shows potential to be a good show bird, but its not worth having the crap pecked out of my arm anytime I try to grab him or something in his cage

Back
Top Bottom