Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pennie1, Jun 19, 2011.

1. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    I know that we have a Silkie thread, but how about a partridge Silkie thread for JUST the partridge? I love the partridge and I'm sure others do also. Here are some pics of my babies.

This is Watson. I also have his brother that looks just like him except he doesn't have quite as heavy of feathering on his feet. They are 4 and 1/2 months old.
    [​IMG]

This is 1 of several pullets that I have. They all are in the same age range of 4 to 4 & 1/2 months.
    [​IMG]

Another pullet
    [​IMG]

These are from the second hatch. They are all between 5 wks. and 9 wks. old
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last picture is of a cockerel from the first hatch. He is of awesome type and very large (hence the name Baby Huey). I have question on his color. Would he be considered blue?
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any input and I hope others will post pictures of their beautiful partridge.

3 people like this.
  2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, those are lovely. I don't have any Part but I wish I did. I'll be following this thread.

[​IMG]

3. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    Thanks a lot. I love the partridge and they don't seem to get the recognition that they deserve. I know partridge is 1 of those varieties that seems open to the interpretation of the judge at the shows and the people that breed them. That's why I would like to see pictures of other partridge Silkies. It would be great to see some that have done well at shows.

4. SoFluffy

SoFluffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    IT'S SO FLUFFY!! Honestly, it really is [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Oh I love the partridge!! My fave for sure!! I need to get some new pictures but here are a few.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Quote:With any patterned bird it is harder to win. They have to have outstanding color and patten to beat a solid color bird (in any breed). When you beat a solid color bird for breed and more you know you have done something good. I do better at shows with my blacks but I enjoy my patterned birds more(maybe because of the challenge they bring to produce good ones.) Watson has potential to be something special. Will he be at the Crossroads show this fall?

7. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    So, Jen, what do you think of my last picture? Would he be considered Blue? Even the dark feathers on his tail aren't black, they are a deep chestnut.
    And, by the way, I have always thought your birds are wonderful. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    Yep, Watson and his brother will both be there. The girls will be there also. The Watson boys have a long way to go before they are ready. They are taking forever to really fill out. They are big boys and have a long way to go. I do love them though. I was reading through the standard and their colors are right on so I just have to hope they fill out.
    I have a question. Would it be a good idea to confine them more to help them fill out? I have been keeping everyone together but maybe I should separate the boys and put them on shavings 24/7 for their foot feathering. I had read somewhere that you can rub some baby oil or even olive oil on their foot feathers to help keep them nice.

9. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Quote:I will be there with Columbian Cochins and maybe some other colors also. I will be individually penning mine when I decide which ones I will take. I have over 70 Columbians that I am going to have to sort out for show possibilities.

10. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    Good lord!! Good luck. I'm having trouble deciding among 12 Silkies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by