Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

My broody finally hatched out some partridge chicks & I want to follow this thread.
smile.png

This "Partridge Silkies - Nothing else" thread is close to 500 pgs -- not a bad number considering some breeds only have 5 or 10 pgs so far!!!! My favorite Silkie variety are the Partridges - so many color variations and such a good feather coat to hide dirt or stains from backyard foraging! I had to re-home my Partridge cockerel years ago but I was able to keep his little puffball sister:

She is now my oldest hen at 5 yrs old - Partridge colors are so very pretty - especially when turquoise ears are showing:

This "Partridge Silkies - Nothing else" thread is close to 500 pgs -- not a bad number considering some breeds only have 5 or 10 pgs so far!!!! My favorite Silkie variety are the Partridges - so many color variations and such a good feather coat to hide dirt or stains from backyard foraging! I had to re-home my Partridge cockerel years ago but I was able to keep his little puffball sister: She is now my oldest hen at 5 yrs old - Partridge colors are so very pretty - especially when turquoise ears are showing:
She is adorable! Remind me of my little girl :)

She is adorable! Remind me of my little girl :)

I have a spunky little Black Silkie that's a few months younger than our Partridge hen that we adore -- but our little Partridge hen is very special to us. She is dainty, not a tomboy like the Black Silkie, yet she is alert and mature. She had a rocky start as a chick in a friend's large fowl chick brooder as she and her chick brother always had to hide from the bigger chick breeds as they grew faster and more aggressive than the Silkie chicks. I was advised not to mix dual-purpose or heavy large fowl with Silkies and I learned the hard way. I no longer keep assertive large fowl breeds with the Silkies and re-homed the large bullies. I only keep gentle lightweight breeds with the Silkies. We found gentle Blue Wheaten Ameraucana and Blue Breda as the only lightweight large fowl gentle enough to keep with the 2 Silkies.

Here's what a mean 7-lb Cuckoo Marans did to the little 2-lb Partridge girl - ate her alive in the coop every night before we realized the Partridge was not molting. Her walnut comb was gone and never grew back. I love this little girl for being able to survive against so many odds as a chick and as a pullet under my sad care so I take extra interest in everything with her now:

She has molted recently and is growing new crest feathers so has quills sticking out of her cute little head right now. Caught a snapshot today of her getting a cold drink from the Brite Tap waterer in the shade of the roofed coop patio. We are experiencing triple digit temps in SoCalif this week:

I am new to silkies and curious about the ones I have, I believe three partridge and a calico? The darker partridge and calico are both boys (not sure about the others yet) , so I have to choose who to keep as they are starting to spar a bit too much. I'd appreciate any feedback on their colors etc.

Beautiful birds!! The bottom one is a rooster, the one it is arguing with is likely a rooster as well but the others look like hens.

I'm not an expert on what is considered proper coloring, but I love the red in the top two.

Thanks! The top and bottom ones crow already, and I saw the red one second down having what looked like a cockerel fight with the calico...so I think I have just one girl, the little one. I don't love her color as it seems dull but I figure it might be cool to see what happens if she is bred with the top bird. I think from what I'm reading here on this post that he is closest to standard? I will admit I have not made it through all 497 pages yet!

Thanks! The top and bottom ones crow already, and I saw the red one second down having what looked like a cockerel fight with the calico...so I think I have just one girl, the little one. I don't love her color as it seems dull but I figure it might be cool to see what happens if she is bred with the top bird. I think from what I'm reading here on this post that he is closest to standard? I will admit I have not made it through all 497 pages yet!

Partridge girls are seldom as striking in colors as the boys but still their array of colors are pretty.

Cross posted.
smile.png

Hey guys with partridge silkies what age do the roosters get the pretty colors. Do they feather in that way or does it come later?

By 6-months old our Partridge male (bottom) had very colorful feathers, shiny, and brighter than his sister (walking in front of him)

Female Partridge 5 to 6 months

Male Partridge 5 to 6 months

At around 4 months the male was exhibiting suspiciously brighter colors and streamers than his little round sister and we could no longer deny we had a boy! We had a male and female hatched on the same day so it was easy to monitor the significant differences between them.

Back
Top Bottom