Passed Away

shelby528

Songster
10 Years
Aug 5, 2009
Ontario
Thanks for all the intial help but unfortunately with all my valiant efforts my little lady passed away yesterday morning. I was kind of glad she went though, she had been sick for awhile and I'm glad she is no longer suffering. Her brothers do miss her though!
Thanks again!

Last edited:
We don't believe she is a bantam but I am pretty sure she is not a bantam.

Everytime we pick her up, she closes her eyes and stands still. Unlike her brothers and sisters, she is very calm and relaxed. I'm so concerned for her.

If you could post a pic of her and one of her sisters that whould be good.. That way we can compare the two..

Chris

It's not that uncommon to get a bird that's slow to mature. We have a male Barred Rock thats the same age as his sibblings, but he was very slow to mature.At one point, he was half the size as the others. He's finally caught up and is just fine. You could try giving it some poly vi sol without iron, and use Apple cider vinager in it's water. I'd give it a month or two. It'll probally catch up.

I got 15 barred rock cockerels as packing peanuts in an order of bantam cochins last October. One little BR just didn't grow, and didn't feather out, so we put him in with the cochins so we could keep a closer eye on him. We wanted to make sure he wasn't being bullied away from the food and water. He seemed as active and hungry as the bantam cochins, but they were soon bigger than he was. When we moved the BR's to their pen at 8 weeks old, he was still about half the size of his "brothers."

We butchered that bunch of cockerels at 18 weeks, and by butcher day, we could no longer tell which one was the runt. He had caught up by then. I figure he was just a slow grower...

Here he is in between two of the bantam cochins. All 3 were hatched the same day.
PB150003.jpg

Back
Top Bottom