passing blood, but appears healthy. HELP.

emjay

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
I have some 8 week old babies, one died yesterday, suddenly. I changed all the bedding, as there was some blood (bright).
this morning I checked in to see the bedding, to make sure no one else was passing the blood. There was more bright blood on the shavings. and some runny bloody poo. I have no idea which of the 6 is passing it, as they all appear healthy.

I do have some corid on hand. Should I put them all on it? Is it cocci? I had a bout of it in the spring, only affected one chick, but she was puffed up and lethargic. She is doing fabulous now. Almost at POL.

I don't want to lose more, and I don't want to give wrong meds.

and at what age can I give them eprinex for internal parasites? I don't want to use that and corid at the same time

help. anyone. should I give some corid? would it hurt them if I gave it, and it wasn't cocci?

I would definitely treat for cocci right away. It's good that they're still active; that just means that they shouldn't have too hard a time getting through this.
thumbsup.gif

well, I have started them (this morning) on the cocci treatment. I am treating all 5 of them, as I don't know which one is bleeding.

They are my 'special' babies, they were hatched on my lap, and some on my daughters lap. so we are a bit attached to these ones.

I hope this does the trick. My spring baby made a full recovery, and she was quite sick, very lethargic, so I hope that this will disappear really fast.

is there anything you can put in the soil to erradicate it??

well, I just checked on them. as had been away most of the day.

good news.

no (new) fresh blood. yay. fingers crossed.

Eradicate protozoa from the soil? Not really. But once they're through this outbreak, they should be resistant to whatever strains are in your soil for their whole lives, so you likely won't have this problem again with them. It's more a matter of making them strong so they can resist it (which you are doing right now) than about trying to eradicate the cocci protozoa.

Glad to hear they're doing well.
smile.png

Unless it rains...Sometimes there is an outbreak after a rain especially if you mix young and old birds... just always remember that...if they get lethargic and don't want to eat...treat agian.

well, I hope that they are good to go now. and I'm glad that I had stuff on hand.

the run they are in is a covered run, no exposure to rain. I am glad it is a smaller area, so it is a confineable space, (once I introduce these youngsters to the other side with the other youngsters.) I can keep the other birds out of the area.

microscopic things are the worst

Back
Top Bottom