Pastey butt or something? Help?!

erijn5

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
South Central IL
I have 3 chicks that I'm guessing has pastey butt. It is not really sticky or slimey. It is more hard, but it is sticking to thier butts. I have been washing there bottoms daily with soap and water... What next? Or what is this?
fl.gif
Do I need to treat them with medicine, or add something in the water? Seriously confused!!!

Thanks

yes that sounds like pasty butt. they can die from this if not treated right away. you'll have to soften it with warm water and very gently peel it off. be careful you can hurt them in the process, it has to be softened first. i've read to add vaseline afterwards to keep it from happening again, and do this regularly, not sure how often, 2-4x/day maybe (?). hopefully someone else responds with more experience than i.

i've also heard that being to cold can cause this and that it is good to add electrolytes/vitamins to their water.

If you dip their bottoms in some peroxide, it will clean the bottoms quickly, and easily wihtout pulling out feathers! Then you can put a bit of vaseline on there to keep the poop from sticking. Make sure they aren't too hot, as that seems to be a cause of pasty butt. Make sure they are drinking water as well. Pasty butt is constipation, and the heat can cause dehydration which will cause constipation if they aren't drinking enough.

You can soak a cotton ball with peroxide, hold it on the poop for a bit, and it will foam the poop away as well. Be sure to dry them after cleaning, and get them back under the lamp as soon as possible.

Good luck!

I used mineral oil on my cochin chicks, and carefully snipped some feathers away. I found that lining the botom of their cage with hay, then covering that with paper towels really helped alot. Then all I do is roll up the towels to clean, and add new ones.

When I first brought my babies home, 2 of them had pasty butt. I too applied warm water and used a paper towel to gently rub it off, but finally had to use my fingernails to break up the hard pieces. Once that happened, I made a final clean up and haven't had a problem since. Brooder cleanliness is very important. Good luck!

Pasty Butt;

OK, The straight skinny on "Pasty Butt". Believe it or not, Pasty Butt is a symptom of constipation. The cure is molasses in their drinking water. Molasses is a natural laxative for fowl. Mix it like weak tea and give it to them for 2 days. Naturally you should clean their little butts with a warm damp cloth before you start the treatment. Failure to cure this condition could result in a painful death for your chicken. This treatment is for adult birds as well as chicks.

All these sound very good...I have been cleaning there butts regularly as needed. They are still eating and drinking and running around...I have 21 chicks and it is on only 3.....Is this contagious? I sure hope not...But just in case I have separated them into 2 different totes.
hmm.png
Keep up the rememdies they are very helpful for me and others...Thanks!
tongue.png

Quote:
This is something that has had me thinking, I am expecting my first batch of babies on May 18th
big_smile.png
and they are Cochin Bantams. With all those feathers everywhere it is what makes them so adorable but can also be a hindrance if they get that nasty pasty butt. This info will be kept in my notebook for important info on raising my chicks!
smile.png
Thankyou!

Quote:
Constipation Danny. And that can be caused by several things, including eating the wrong things, eating too much, not drinking enough water, etc......Pop

One more thing. A good way to encourage chicks to drink more is to turn their water blue or green with food color. Of course it works best in mason jar waterers, but in other types also.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom