1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pastey Butt!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Waddling_Wamplers, May 21, 2011.

1. Waddling_Wamplers

Waddling_Wamplers Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    One of my SLW chicks was acting lothargic, and upon closer inspection my wife noticed that she had poop caked on her. I'm not sure if i did the right thing, but i used warm water and a qtip to clean her, and she is acting much more energetic today and is even eating some. Am I out of the woods???? or is there something else i need to be doing?????
    HELP?!

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    How old is the chick ?

Watch and make sure she is eating AND drinking. ..

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Pasty butt comes back sometimes, and so you might need to clean her again.

I agree with mathace.

4. Waddling_Wamplers

Waddling_Wamplers Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    She is about a week old, she is so much more energetic today! [​IMG] I will keep checking on her.... Thanks

5. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:I have had a pasty butt a couple of times in the past. . . ... .
    I found that is was happening when they were young and eating their bedding. Now, I use nothing but a towel for the first 5 days.
    By then they know what food is, they are drinking good, and their digestive system is fully operational.
    I change the towel every other day and they do just fine.

By the end ot the week, I can switch them over to wood shavings and they will still try eating it. . . but they give up quickly and return to their normal food.

You shouldn't see any more pasty butt by the end of week two. . .
    It might come back a little bit between now and then, but it sounds like she is pretty much over it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Am056638

Am056638 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Oregon
    My Rhode Island Red got it last night and through out today. Wasn't sure what to do cause I just got her yesterday and its my first run at chickens. I will put towels down and try and clean her with a q tip. Can she die from this? What did you mean by "out of the woods"?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by