Pasting up in newborn chicks

You could put a pan of water in the room (where the chicks CANNOT get to it) and it will evaporate, raising the humidity.
Or hang wet towels up. We cover our hermit crab tank with a wet towel every 24 hours to keep the humidity level up.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's a really good idea to hold them until they're calm again. They used to be alright with me, but now they're scared to death every time I check in on them!

So far only one has pasted up again, but two of them are missing their butt feathers, so they shouldn't have any more problems. I can't believe you did that for 27 chicks! Congratulations. That's amazing that they all lived!

I have chicks that are 1 week old today. This is my first time with chicks. I have been putting Quik Chik in their water since they arrived and haven't had a problem with pasting. I thought maybe I did, but it turned out to be an umbilical cord. Someone recommended putting apple cider vinegar in the their water, and also give them warm water.

Has anyone recommended ACV (apple cider vinegar -- organic, with the mother)? My daughter swears by it, and since i didn't have many problems with pasty butt, maybe that is why.

I had a quart waterer for the chicks and put a capful in each refill. I generally changed out the water at least once or twice a day with fresh vinegar. They are 10 weeks old and get 2 caps of ACV in their 3 gallon waterer (I only fill it half way).

Sharol

Quote:
I'd actually heard that and I'd completely forgotten! I'll definitely try that. We've been putting a little bit of sugar in their water for an extra pick-me-up, but I think that apple cider vinegar would work better.

as far as eating I put gunny sacks in the bottom of my brooder and sprinkled some starter on the sacks. They could scratch and eat, but also showed them where the feeder was. keep at the water they will get the hang of it

Quote:
That's a really good idea to hold them until they're calm again. They used to be alright with me, but now they're scared to death every time I check in on them!

So far only one has pasted up again, but two of them are missing their butt feathers, so they shouldn't have any more problems. I can't believe you did that for 27 chicks! Congratulations. That's amazing that they all lived!

Yep! All lived until we had a predator attack and I lost 4 "babies" who were grown up and free ranging.
Yep! All 27 of them.
Got to be the running joke: What'cha doin'? Where are you off to?" I'd say "I'm off to play with my chick's butts again"
th.gif
and the reply would always be something to the effect of:
ep.gif

BTW
"Yazzo" has done a great piece on taming your chickens. I wish I had read it earlier but it still was not to late for me. Took the fight and aprehension out of ALL of them without corporal punishment. Take a look at the thread. Someting about "dealing with an agressive roo" by "Yazzo"
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom