pasting up

LightenUp

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Laketown, Utah
So my little babies are having the problem of pasting up. I guess it's from have the pine shavings in there for a day.
sad.png

I've tried to get a damp cloth and get it off, but it's very stuck on and seems like a lot. Needless to say, I am not very successful at getting it cleaned off.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

When I got my ten at the feed store at age 3-4 days old, three had pasty butts. I tried the damp paper towel but just wasn't doing it.

I held them in one hand, butt facing out and let barely warm water run so it was barely touching them while I gently softened the poo till they were clean then I dried them gently with a wash cloth until they were mostly dry.

Put them back in the 95' brooder and two of the three bent back and pooped a whole lot, stood up and ruffled their little wings as if to say 'man, do I feel better'.

Good luck with your little ones.

Last edited:
I do something similar to Sweet Cheeks.

I just put some very warm water in an old plastic container and hold the chick's rump in it until it softens up the poo. (The chicks seem to love the warm H2O! & stop peeping.)

Then I use a paper towel dampened in warm water to gently remove the poo.

Then I pat the dry a bit & replace them in the booder. They are always fine afterward.

I just read that some people dab some type of mineral oil (?) on their vents with a Q-tip to help prevent it a second time~~I am going to try that next time myself.

Also, I try to "mark" the chick with the problem with a dab of food coloring on it so I can check it more often as it seems that the same chicks have the problem happen again.

Hope this helps some~~
smile.png

Last edited:
I must be a mean mommy. When this happened to 2 of my chickies I couldn't get it off with the running or soaking. So I clipped back the mini feathers from around the vent. They were fine and no more pasty butts.

Thank you so much for your help!
My husband held the babes while I kept dipping my gloved fingers in water and soaking the poo off.
Oh, man! I didn't know that I would be so worried about these little babes!
I will keep checking them often and I removed the pine shavings for now.
If I had the mineral oil, I would try that.
Robin

Pasty Butt;

OK, The straight skinny on "Pasty Butt". Believe it or not, Pasty Butt is a symptom of constipation. The cure is molasses in their drinking water. Molasses is a natural laxative for fowl. Mix it like weak tea and give it to them for 2 days. Naturally you should clean their little butts with a warm damp cloth before you start the treatment. Failure to cure this condition could result in a painful death for your chicken. This treatment is for adult birds as well as chicks.

You will find a large number of posts on pasty butt around here (quite a few of them are mine!!
tongue.png
). It seems there are a few things that work, and everyone has their favorite "trick". For me, I tried ACV, but it didn't work . The thing that seems to be working for over three days now(Yay!!!) is the molasses trick (thanks Lollipop . Worked right away, and they are doing great.

I keep suggesting a sticky about pasty butt (pardon the pun!), but so far nothing...
roll.png

Good luck to you!

Quote:
I'm going to try this, Thanks!
About how much molasses would I use for a quart of water?
Since I've cleaned their little butts, I haven't seen any other pasty butt occurring. Should I still do the molasses treatment?

I didn't but mine arrived with the pasty butts after being shipped up from Privett in New Mexico to Olympia, WA. 100 chicks ordered by the Feed Store only 1 DOA.

Once mine started eating and drinking they were fine. IF they had continued to get the pasty butts then I would have supplemented.

Quote:
I'm going to try this, Thanks!
About how much molasses would I use for a quart of water?
Since I've cleaned their little butts, I haven't seen any other pasty butt occurring. Should I still do the molasses treatment?

I noticed it coming back repeatedly. For my quart waterer I used about 1/4 tsp of molasses which made it look like weak tea. I left the on it for three days, and it seems to have done the trick (the pasty butts were gone after a day, but I kept at it just to be sure;))

After the three days, I stopped the molasses (didn't want to over do it ad give them all the terminal runs!).I now have switched to water with ACV, as that has other benefits.

Hope this helps!Good luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom