pasting

4littlehens

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Can adult hens have a pasted vent? My barred rock had poop stuck to her rear feathers yesterday. This morning the feathers around her vent were missing and most of the poop was gone. She still has some old poop stuck in the vent area, but she laying and pooping just fine. Her rear seems to be bothering her, but she may just getting used to her new bare bottom. None of the skin in the area looks red or irritated. I'm just curious if any of you have had this experience or if I should be concerned. Thanks!

She could have mites, take a really close look at her vent area. The mites lay eggs on the base of the feather shafts. Can you tell if she is pulling her own feathers out, or are others pecking at her rear? One of my hens is "messy", always has a bit of poo on her rear feathers, but she is very healthy otherwise (she is also a pig).

My guess is that she is pulling out her own feathers. The area around her vent looks fine, but some of the remaining feathers look like they've been covered in oil. It's strange. It could be stress... I just had a fence installed aroung the chicken yard. Thanks for your comments!

Back
Top Bottom