Pasture Poultry Coop for Rainy Seasons

gainesvillej

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 11, 2008
Hello,

I am new to BYC and learning a lot.

I am moving to Caribbean island in 6 months with my wife and would like to produce our own broilers using Salatin's method.

Fortunately, the temps in the Caribbean (besides being slightly hot some days) will be perfect. No snow.

Unfortunately, during June, July and August, we will average 10 inches of rain a month. Usually it rains hard and then the sun comes out immediately, so things start to dry up quickly. But I'm sure there will be some storms that produce a lot of water in a short time period.

This has me a little worried about having too much water in the pasture tractors during those months.

I was thinking of having 'stand-by' 4x4 beams to plop down beside the cages to stop any water running in (acting like a sand bag). That way when the rainy season isn't in fully swing I will have a lighter cage. Maybe that coupled with metal sheeting that extends further over the edges will help.

Does anyone else deal with this type of problem?

I seem to recall this being discussed in one of Joel's books, running out to the tractors in the spring during a heavy rain and spreading hay...
Have you considered contacting him at Polyface Farms? Since he's very popular now he might be a little hard to reach, but their website does have a phone number and fax number.

Yeah, he did suggest spreading hay in his book. Which seems like it would work in Virginia. However, in VA's rainiest month of the year they average about 4 inches during that month. I'm probably going to be dealing with a lot more rain at times. I guess what I'm saying is I would like to find a way to help control water without dropping bails of hay AND without having to just stop production during that month.

I understand. I have half considered the same thing if I relocate to Costa Rica, and they have the same "monsoon" situation. Since he's so well versed, maybe he would know someone you could contact. One of his big motivations is education. I suspect he would be willing to share sources if he has any in the tropics, and I'd bet he does.

Very true. I would just have to muster up the moxie to write "The Godfather".
smile.png

Write your letter, but fax it to his son Daniel. They'll share the same database, but Daniel won't have as many distractions.

Back
Top Bottom