pasture questions

flockman

Songster
9 Years
Nov 6, 2010
Northern Indiana
What did you plant in your pasture for your geese? How long after it comes up do you allow grazing? How big is the area of pasture that you have for your geese?

Thanks,

You will want to mention what part of the country you are in. Location will dictate what types offs tire are found.

We are in FL, so we can't have rye or clover this time of the year they oth burn out and turn brown. We do plant bahai, millet, st Augustine, costal grass and others suitable to our location and climate. We also don't plant the same here as northern FL, or the far southern end of FL such as Miami.

Central Oregon, and it is cold and dry.

Orchard grass, native bluegrass, and a pasture blend. 1/2 acre, top seeded last fall, irrigated to establish.

The ducks are getting out on it for a few hours a week, because they are not tearing up roots. The geese won't go out because the geese are all on the nest and the gander is on guard duty. They will get some limited time after they are moving around.

Even a small number of birds will strip 1/2 acre down to bare ground, so they will have limited access.

I've planted clover but it didn't work. It is the favorite and gets stripped out of the area really quickly. Maybe if you had a lot of it, they couldn't damage it. There are no dandelions in my pasture, either, because the ducks love those.

Totally forgot bluegrass was possible elsewhere. We are thinking of trying dandelions here, not sure they can take the heat.

We don't seem to have a problem with stripping, but during the summer the grass grows so fast here it can stand to be mowed 3 times a week.

mine love clover and dandilions. they eat any flowered seed pods left behind also. the grass we grow up here is ok but they tend to like it very short. they get picky when it gets long so keep it mowed around some areas and they will stay there to graze. mine have 3 1/2 acres to wander. their pen looks like a putting green its so short.

How large of an area would a pair of geese and half a dozen ducks need for a good pasture? In other words they would have as much as they wanted. Feed would also be available. Clover grows very well and so do dandelions. I will have to let them out in my yard with supervision to rid it of both of those.

Back
Top Bottom