Pastured Cornish Cross Via Mobile Hen House Query

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by TDM, Jul 7, 2011.

1. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

I added about ten four week old Cornish Cross to one of our mobile hen houses today. The idea is that they may free range like a regular hen. Anybody have experience with this method?

[​IMG]

2. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Many people use Salatin style tractors. I'm wondering if the birds will have trouble going up and down the ladder as they get bigger and will just decide to stay put?

Beautiful pasture!

3. TDM

Not familiar with a Salatin style tractor myself. I don't know if the meat birds will negotiate the eight foot long ramp.

4. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    You could see a pic of BigRed's Salatin inspired tractor here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=436974

And I made my own smaller version here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=529752 (it's in the 9th post in that thread)

If you do a search on BYC and type in Salatin, you'll likely see many photos... or on Google.

Either way, I love your setup. I'd like to know what opinions others have on whether or not the meaties would make the ramp. I've heard stories of them having to be carried in and out.

5. TDM

I see it is nothing more than a chicken tractor. I didn't realize that somebody named it after himself.

6. TDM

Well, it seems one brave bird negotiated the ramp and made it's way onto the pasture. It joined the other birds in hanging around underneath the frame. I'm trying to get away from using ground level structures that I have to move around the field with the tractor.

7. TDM

Well, they seem to have adapted to the situation.

[​IMG]

8. Bluff Country Chicken

Bluff Country Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    SE MN
    Interesting -they're looking good. Please keep us posted. I'm very curious to see if they give up on the ramp. They may stage a "sit in"....or "sit out," I suppose.

9. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Quote:Ditto that!

10. TDM

Quote:They don't bother negotiating the ramp, instead they just hang around under the wagon and ramp for rest and shade. I was pleased to see these birds chase down bugs that are quite a ways away from the mobile hen house.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by