pasty but, what is it and is it bad for the chick.

chknlitl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
Northwest Florida
My two cochins are the same age and one is bigger than the other. The little one has poop on his but all the time and i think this is what u call pasty but.

Is this bad for the chick, and is she stopped up?

Is this why she is smaller than my other one?

How do i fix this?

This is the chick my son picked out and they are already big buddies, he named it dinasor. I would hate it for him if it died. Please help.

Soak its rear end in warm for a few minutes, pull off crud with tweezers, apply olive oil to vent with qtip. they grow out of it but if it gets bad enough it will back them up and they can die so make sure you take care of it.

Pasty butt is bad for chicks because it can stop them up (so they can't poop) and that can kill them. What you gotta do is always be on pasty butt patrol when you have chicks. You have to wash off their little bums, or sometimes you can trim their booty fuzz, but it usually lasts only a couple of days....usually I always seem to have one chick with pasty butt in a batch of new chicks. It's really nothing to worry about as long as you clean the tush off. I'd say you've gotta watch for pasty butt for about the first two weeks.

Hope this helps!
Sharon

it does sound like pasty butt biddies sometimes get it form stress in shipping but I have had some of mine get it when I hatched them myself It does keep the biddie from pooping if the vent is clogged. I usually dip their little butts in a bowl of warm water and gently pull it off. You can then put alittle olive oil or vasoline on their butts. Be careful to dry it off If you put it back in the brooder wet the others will peck it. I usually ad alittle grit to their feed and that stops it. good luck

Mine had pasty bum, too. But only for a couple of days.
Now I'm pasty bum free
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom