Pasty butt and rotting flesh?

Whitney9988

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Washington
Today I noticed one of my chickens behinds was covered with poop. She has been making noises like she was straining to go to the bathroom but I wonder if it was because of all the gunk on there? Anyway, I cut away some of the feathers but left some because it was too close too the skin to cut. It was kinda moist so I I tried to gently wipe it away and removed most of it, but the the area underneath started bleeding and had a nasty oder. Once she started bleeding the pain must have kicked in because she acted like it hurt her. And no, it wasn't the area where I had cut the feathers. The bleeding wasn't extremely bad so I let her go. I looked through what I had removed and it kind of looks like some skin might have come off? I have some benadine I'm going to spray on there when she goes in but was wondering what everyone else thought I should do or look for.

I would start by catching her up again, separating her from the others so you can see what she is doing (eating/drinking/pooping) ect. Wash her bottom- soak her in a warm tub with some mild soap to get all of the gunk material off- then you can better determine what is happening there.

I was looking on the forum because one of our EE's Hawkeye is going through something fairly traumatic (more to me than to her I think). When I read this, it sounds very similar to what is going on with her. I'm going to create my own post and see if I get any info that will help either of us. Good luck with yours!

Check the rotting flesh for maggots ( I know, gross.). They look like wiggling rice. If you see them flush out the holes in her skin & try to remove them all. Then a good warm Betadine soak for a while, dry her off and put neosporin on the affected areas. (I was a Registered Vet Tech for 10 years. I saw this happen more than a few times.)
wink.png

I would for sure get her in some warm water and let that poo soften up and come of in the water (try not to wipe but swoosh her to help loosen it up) I found the spray nozzle on the sink worked great...a little pressure without hurting her, and then I would follow what Fattie says to do with the Betadine and Neosporin. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom