Pasty butt! HELP?!?

AmeraucanaHank

Blessed be the Name of God
Sep 12, 2021
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
hi,
I have a chicks with pasty butt and I have tried to fix it with a wet paper towel, but it seems like it will never come of and I am super worried because the last thing I want to do is hurt her. Is there any other safer way to fix it? PLEASE HELP!?! Thanks!

hi,
I have a chicks with pasty butt and I have tried to fix it with a wet paper towel, but it seems like it will never come of and I am super worried because the last thing I want to do is hurt her. Is there any other safer way to fix it? PLEASE HELP!?! Thanks!
Hi! I would suggest coconut oil. If you aren’t too squeamish, smear it on your hands, and work it on her all over the poo as best as you can. Let it sit for a few minutes (keep her warm). Then use warm water (either a paper towel or your hand) and see if you can slide any of it down her feathers. The warm water should help dissolve it and the coconut oil helps it slide off without having to pick at it. You can also feed her a pea sized piece of solid coconut oil once or twice a day to help her insides push it out without getting stuck once you get her bum clear.

hi,

I've had good success by using a soaking wet (dripping!) warm paper towel, very gently wiping with the towel. Folding it and turning it to keep the wettest part on their vent, and in a minute or so they are clear.

I'm going to try coconut oil. I have been holding mine in a small bowl of warm water for it to get soft and wash poo off. Last night I was able to clean and trim some feathers from her bum. And I put some vaseline on. This morning miss pasty butt was less pasty. Good luck.

I've had good success by using a soaking wet (dripping!) warm paper towel, very gently wiping with the towel. Folding it and turning it to keep the wettest part on their vent, and in a minute or so they are clear.

This.

And sometimes I get an outer layer of mess off then let the chick sit for a while before tackling another layer. (Be sure to keep the chick warm).

If you're not too squeamish, rubbing the softening poop between your fingers and pinching just the poop with your fingernails can be helpful. Not too close to the skin and being careful not to pinch down or vent tissue (which might be swollen and protruding).

I could see a little bump by vent last night. Her bum is mostly clean this morning. I have been cleaning multiple times a day. Having a hen take care of this is much easier. I have switched the little silkies to wire dog cage. I put 1/2 " hardware cloth on bottom so poop can fall through. The big container I grabbed to put them in when hen decided not to help would hold the water leak from waterer.

Back
Top Bottom