Pasty Butt how to cure?

lil_nyixx

Chirping
Sep 21, 2020
Indiana, USA
Hello BYC!

I’ve gotten 4 new little chicks and one of them has poo stuck in them. I’ve tried putting damp lukewarm water on the bum and cleaning the vent and it works for short time and then it comes back. I’ve read that brooder lamps give off wrong heat signals and makes it more hot. I’ve read a blog saying that an ecoglow will work better but that’s at least 100$ and i cant afford that right now. What can I do? I dont want my others getting it and this is my first time dealing with pasty butt. any tips would be helpful ☺️

Last edited:
Pasty butt is a common symptom in baby chicks that have been shipped to homes or feedstores. It lasts about a week, and they may continue to get it daily, so check for it. It can be caused by being too hot, but more so from getting cold or dehydrated during shipping. What is your brooder temperature, and is it indoors or outdoors? I start with 90 degrees F until they are a week old and drop down 5 degrees weekly. That should be the warmest spot in the brooder under the lamp, but they need to have a cooler are ro go to. Make sure the chick is drinking well, and you can dip it’s beak in water to encourage it.

Pasty butt is a common symptom in baby chicks that have been shipped to homes or feedstores. It lasts about a week, and they may continue to get it daily, so check for it. It can be caused by being too hot, but more so from getting cold or dehydrated during shipping. What is your brooder temperature, and is it indoors or outdoors? I start with 90 degrees F until they are a week old and drop down 5 degrees weekly. That should be the warmest spot in the brooder under the lamp, but they need to have a cooler are ro go to. Make sure the chick is drinking well, and you can dip it’s beak in water to encourage it.
My brooder is inside and I keep the brooder about 90 degrees, and like you, I drop it down 5 degrees every week. I have clean water every few hours for them (they kick bedding into it) I did encourage the first day but she’s drinking well.

I just take a warm paper towel that's a little wet and gently rub their bum. Don't pull the feathers. Dry them with a paper towel and your good to go! :thumbsup

ps : I show how to cure this on my thread.

If there isn’t a cool spot in your brooder you can always use a heating pad. I saw on here someone had taken wire and made a small hoop house for the chicks to go under and put a heating pad on top. Like a heat plate but with a heating pad. I’m not sure how to post the link otherwise I would.

I dealt with this with my Brahma and just ran her toosh under warm water then blow dried her. The paper towel method stressed her more and didn’t work too well for me.

If there isn’t a cool spot in your brooder you can always use a heating pad. I saw on here someone had taken wire and made a small hoop house for the chicks to go under and put a heating pad on top. Like a heat plate but with a heating pad. I’m not sure how to post the link otherwise I would.

I dealt with this with my Brahma and just ran her toosh under warm water then blow dried her. The paper towel method stressed her more and didn’t work too well for me.
huh. I tried the water and they liked the towel better! 😂

huh. I tried the water and they liked the towel better! 😂
My Brahma is a huge baby. That might be why the towel bothered her. She couldn’t go to sleep without someone touching her. She has a flock mate and he’s just as big a baby. So that might be why she didn’t like it. Even now at three months old she jumps into my arms on cold days just to be warm and near me.

I use a tooth brush (with soft bristles) in lukewarm water. I gently scrub the spot after dampening it, until the clump has been loosed and fallen off (I know this sounds gross, but bear with me here.) Then because the read is wet, other chicks may find her fun to peck at, especially with a bright pink vent exposed. Dry her off gently and as best you can before putting her back in with the rest, to ensure things will be alright.

I bought a tarter container and I do have a cool spot for them and a warm side for them I leave on 24/7. All the methods seem to be stressing her out since she doesn’t like to be handled.

Back
Top Bottom