Pasty butt in adult chicken??

JayDee87

In the Brooder
May 14, 2022
Hello,

I am new to chicken keeping. I have 4 adult hens that I got from a family who is moving, so they gave their chickens to us. They’re about a year old. Two of have seem to have pasty butt. And I am concerned.

I’ve only had them for about 4 days. They are eating a completely different layer feed here, and they’re also free ranging quite a bit during the day (they didn’t before) Could their sudden change in diet and environment be causing this?

They’re not acting abnormal. They aren’t acting sick. The family who owned them even came to our house today and checked on them and they said they aren’t sick looking, or acting differently. They seem to be okay other than the pasty butt.

I will try to give them some sand for dust baths tomorrow, and I’ll add diatomaceous earth. I’ll also give them ACV in their water tomorrow. I added garlic in their water today. I hope they’re okay. Since I am new to this, I am really worried.
319F7872-41F8-4584-9F44-FC7237788207.jpeg

Do not use diatomaceous earth around anything with lungs, especially chickens! It cause respiratory issues. Drop the garlic and acv too, it's not going to help much. This is called vent fleet, it's caused by digestion or feed issues, also by weather.
What do you feed them including extras*

Do not use diatomaceous earth around anything with lungs, especially chickens! It cause respiratory issues. Drop the garlic and acv too, it's not going to help much. This is called vent fleet, it's caused by digestion or feed issues, also by weather.
What do you feed them including extras*
Oh, I read that I have to add it to their dust bath to kill mites. So that is not true??

They were fed layer mash before with the previous owners. I’m feeding the small pet layer feed which consists of whole grains, seeds, and pellets. They free range for a few hours daily. They also get black fly larva from grub terra for treats. I use it to lure them back in to the run/coop. And they have free access to oyster shell, but doesn’t look like they’re eating much of it.

Stop acv and DE. Get chlorhexidine at tsc. 1 ml per qt water for a week, see if it clears them up. Also, treat for mites topically with ivermectine pour on(tsc has it) 1 drop under each wing, under vent and on the neck. Also, now is not the time to free range, covered run for their safety if you are in the US.
Thanks!

So just to clarify, when you say now is not the time to free range, is it cause they’re sick? Or is it for other reasons like weather, season, etc? And yes, I am in the US.

Also, the chlorhexidine, do I add that to their drinking water? Or do you mean to use it for cleaning their vent? I thought chlorhexidine is for external use only.

Last edited:
Do not add chlorhexidine to their water! It is an antibacterial wash, use it diluted only.

I think the anti free range comment was because of birdflu.

There is no harm adding ACV to their water or giving a bit of garlic.

And I think the PP meant vent gleet. Not vent fleet. It is a fungal infection. Can you trim the feathers around their vents and do a closer photo?

I cannot see pasty butt. That is when the faeces build up and they cannot poop out any more. You seem to have runny poops there. Likely due to change in diet I reckon. It will probably settle down. Keep them clean.

If it is vent gleet, then treat with antifungal cream. You can buy them from the pharmacy, for thrush or athletes foot.

Do not add chlorhexidine to their water! It is an antibacterial wash, use it diluted only.

I think the anti free range comment was because of birdflu.

There is no harm adding ACV to their water or giving a bit of garlic.

And I think the PP meant vent gleet. Not vent fleet. It is a fungal infection. Can you trim the feathers around their vents and do a closer photo?

I cannot see pasty butt. That is when the faeces build up and they cannot poop out any more. You seem to have runny poops there. Likely due to change in diet I reckon. It will probably settle down. Keep them clean.

If it is vent gleet, then treat with antifungal cream. You can buy them from the pharmacy, for thrush or athletes foot.
This makes a lot more sense! They’re still pooping, so maybe not pasty butt. Sorry, I am using it as a description rather than diagnosis. I wasn’t sure what they have.

I feel bad not letting them free range because their run is small. We are in the process of building them a bigger run. But if I have to keep them in, then I will do that.

I will take a picture of the other chicken. Hers was a lot more obvious since she lost some tail feathers from bullying. The bully is not with my flock though, since we only took a few birds.

Thank you so much!!

Oh, I read that I have to add it to their dust bath to kill mites. So that is not true??

They were fed layer mash before with the previous owners. I’m feeding the small pet layer feed which consists of whole grains, seeds, and pellets. They free range for a few hours daily. They also get black fly larva from grub terra for treats. I use it to lure them back in to the run/coop. And they have free access to oyster shell, but doesn’t look like they’re eating much of it.
It's recent myth, DE doesn't kill mites or lice effectively, and it's highly irritating to lungs and the respiratory system, you can use permrethrine poultry dust for mites if they have them.
Acv and garlic won't hurt them but any supplement shouldn't be given more than 10 days straight.

This makes a lot more sense! They’re still pooping, so maybe not pasty butt. Sorry, I am using it as a description rather than diagnosis. I wasn’t sure what they have.

I feel bad not letting them free range because their run is small. We are in the process of building them a bigger run. But if I have to keep them in, then I will do that.

I will take a picture of the other chicken. Hers was a lot more obvious since she lost some tail feathers from bullying. The bully is not with my flock though, since we only took a few birds.

Thank you so much!!

I can't really see from that pic. Looks like runny poops. As mentioned, trim the feathers so they are a bit bald there and then the poop won't stick to them. Bathe their butts clean and keep an eye on them. While you are there, check for mites and fleas and any fly larva.

Back
Top Bottom