help with recurrent pasty butt

Today she was much better!! She seemed her normal self and I saw her first thing this morning poop a perfectly normal healthy poop that did not stick to her bum! I felt for swelling but I think she is ok, its a bit hard she is our heaviest hen so I kept wondering is she just fat or swollen between her legs? haha but she seemed comfortable and happy today. I did not realize pasty butt could cause fly strike that is good to know!

I had wondered about food which was why I stopped fermenting their feed this year when her problem did not resolve. They get an organic pellet feed, with lots of chicken wheat because they love it so much, I had been using up a bag of sunflower seeds but now switched to flaxseed. Oyster grit and some granite grit after we had another hen have impacted crop issues. I can give them scraps & leftovers but am surprised in some ways that it would be food related and only hurt one hen and not the rest? Although maybe she is eating more of such things since she is top of the flock. There is some treats but I haven't fed them in quite a while so it couldn’t be related to this latest bought of the messy butt. Im hoping maybe it was something off she ate or a bit of GI infection that is clearing up now since she was so improved today?

Maybe she could just be dealing with an extra fuzzy bum and some occasional GI distress causing messy poo to stick to her feathers? I hadn’t thought about some chickens digestive systems struggling more than others but thats definetely how my gut is haha much more sensitive than most peoples

Today she was much better!! She seemed her normal self and I saw her first thing this morning poop a perfectly normal healthy poop that did not stick to her bum! I felt for swelling but I think she is ok, its a bit hard she is our heaviest hen so I kept wondering is she just fat or swollen between her legs? haha but she seemed comfortable and happy today. I did not realize pasty butt could cause fly strike that is good to know!

I had wondered about food which was why I stopped fermenting their feed this year when her problem did not resolve. They get an organic pellet feed, with lots of chicken wheat because they love it so much, I had been using up a bag of sunflower seeds but now switched to flaxseed. Oyster grit and some granite grit after we had another hen have impacted crop issues. I can give them scraps & leftovers but am surprised in some ways that it would be food related and only hurt one hen and not the rest? Although maybe she is eating more of such things since she is top of the flock. There is some treats but I haven't fed them in quite a while so it couldn’t be related to this latest bought of the messy butt. Im hoping maybe it was something off she ate or a bit of GI infection that is clearing up now since she was so improved today?

Maybe she could just be dealing with an extra fuzzy bum and some occasional GI distress causing messy poo to stick to her feathers? I hadn’t thought about some chickens digestive systems struggling more than others but thats definetely how my gut is haha much more sensitive than most peoples
Hoping Dorothy continues to show improvement. Just added a thread about my Pepper, as it seems like she’s going through almost the exact same symptoms. It SO hard to identify issues sometimes - there’s so many different possibilities and SO much contradicting advice online. I wish regular vets knew more about our other furry friends and not just dogs and cats. We live in a rural location where chickens are common and it’s still hard to find a knowledgeable vet. Wish I had advice for you, but it sounds like Dorothy is in good hands and she’s getting good care. Crossing my fingers for you and her❤️

Back
Top Bottom