Pasty butt or messy butt?

metalman488

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 2, 2014
Texas
So I've heard of the problem with chicks called pasty butt and I looked up pictures of it so I would know what it looks like. What i saw was basically a mound of poop stuck to the chick's butt. So I checked my chicks and noticed that one of them seems to have a little bit of a mess on his butt, but it isn't blocking him up or anything. It just looks like a tiny bit of poop is stuck onto the fuzz that's right next to his butt. Is this something I should worry about now, or is it normal for chicks to get just a little but of poop stuck there?

That is how pasty butt starts out so, you need to keep a watch on it. If you add a 1/2 tsp. of apple cider vinegar (ACV) or Mother's apple cider vinegar to their 1 qt. of water it will help their digestive system to alleviate the problem.

Clean it off very gently using some warm water if necessary...if it keeps happening, use a qtip to put just a tad of vegetable oil on the fuzz around it's vent so the poop doesn't stick.

Their little digestive systems take awhile to settle in, but firmer poops should be the norm within a few days.

Back
Top Bottom