Pasty butt quartet growth thread! Gender guesses welcome!

Pics
@Overo Mare @black_cat @EmmaRainboe @Quaicken108 @Iluveggers @HappyClucker7 And literally anyone else...

GUESS WHAT?

It is very likely that I will do this all over again, come spring. Buy babies, fix their health crisis, raise them for a few weeks, and then sell them to good homes.
I am very excited.
:wee
@Overo Mare @black_cat @EmmaRainboe @Quaicken108 @Iluveggers @HappyClucker7 And literally anyone else...

GUESS WHAT?

It is very likely that I will do this all over again, come spring. Buy babies, fix their health crisis, raise them for a few weeks, and then sell them to good homes.
I am very excited.
:wee
That’s a GREAT idea! I am hatching twice next year (all rehoming is set already), but I’m afraid I’ll like it so much Ill want to hatch all the time! Hopefully I can find some “regulars” that want a handful of straight run chicks every year & I can steal 1 or 2 for the farm out of the batch 😂. I really enjoyed reading your thread, and it is awesome that you grabbed some of the pasty chicks to save! They were soooo adorable (especially Firefly but I have a “thing” for colored layers.) Gread job and thank you for inviting us along to see them grow! ❤️ Enjoyed every minute of it!

So, I rescued 4 babies from Wilco Farm Store, where they would have suffered from pasty butt. (At least one would have died.) The employees didn’t care one bit. The lady who grabbed them (really very unnecessarily roughly) said “We’ve never had anyone ask for the sick ones with the poopy butts. They always say ”No, we don’t want that one.” “
So!
We have a Sapphire Gem, a Barred Rock, a Rhode Island Red (possibly a production red, not a RSL though.) and an Easter Egger.
We will have to sell them once they’re old enough, we’ve already reached our chicken limit.

We bought them sexed, I think. I was too busy obsessing over their poor butts to read the labels properly.

I know the SG is female, she has no head spot and no barring.
BR has a small head spot and barely visible barring on her wings.
EE is light chipmunk, no visible comb.
RIR is small and shy, with a small but visible comb.

I will post pics tomorrow, the newly cured babies are resting their little eyes under a heat lamp right now.
I spent a lot of time picking at those crusty butts, and was rewarded with large relieved poos.

This is a follow-along thread and you may cast gender guesses once I post pics.

Well, there’s nothing left to say but...
Yipee! Chicks!
That is absolutely precious❤ They are soo cute. I hate going to those places and seeing that,so heart breaking! They don't seem to care about those poor little things, and I have never seen any employee clean them up., unfortunately they have many batches of them. Not enough help to take care of them properly. You my friend make the difference!!

Here we go.
They’re all messy because I fed them egg yolk and they have the manners of a bat trying to eat with chopsticks.
The EE.
View attachment 2613227View attachment 2613231
The droopy SG I hope will make it!View attachment 2613232View attachment 2613233
The RIR.View attachment 2613237View attachment 2613239
And the BR, whom I suspect is really a CM.View attachment 2613240View attachment 2613243
Bless your heart for saving these sweet babies!!! I'm still laughing about "manners of a bat trying to eat with chopsticks" - that says it all!

Back
Top Bottom