"Pasty butt" question

I have had 4 'bators averaging 11-13 chicks, and 2 hens gone broody with equal numbers, since then, and no issues. Only the bought hatchery chicks had that problem, so far (crossing my fingers!). Here's to hoping everyone does fine!

I have had 4 'bators averaging 11-13 chicks, and 2 hens gone broody with equal numbers, since then, and no issues. Only the bought hatchery chicks had that problem, so far (crossing my fingers!). Here's to hoping everyone does fine!
Pasty butt comes from the chicks coming in with NO natural bacteria or flora in their guts. They're not allowed to eat poop from the older birds when you get them, so their intestines can't process the food properly. This is the GOOD bacteria that you want in their guts that they're missing. Try using Sav-A-Chick... you can get it through mail order, or at the local feed supply stores. I used sugar water the first day I got my first order of chicks (and didn't have any older birds around), and all that did was cause worse problems. I researched, got the Sav-A-Chick (which contains the probiotics that the birds need in their guts), and I've never had another problem with pasty butt. I have since gotten in more chicks since that first order, and no problems due to the intestinal issues. However, lost a dark cornish chick after 1-1/2 weeks (couldn't tell what it was, because I wasn't home at the time, and my daughter-in-law was watching the birds for me... step-son disposed of the bird for her (and me :( would have preferred that I had a chance to check the chick out first). Then I lost 1 of the cornish x rock meat chicks (but I blame that on the hybrid breed issues, since that's what he was displaying... grew too big too fast, and couldn't walk anymore... kept falling on his face and couldn't get up "I've fallen and can't get up!" syndrome) at 2-1/2 weeks old. The rest of the cornish x rock chicks are doing fine and are voracious chicks!

The straining could be a sign that they are compacted and that's dangerous. I turn the sink on, leave the warm water running and hold just their backside under it. It sounds complicated but its not. The running water helps wash it away and it softens up. I think that using sugar water in this last bunch was a big factor in why we had so many. We did end up losing one that had it the worst, I thought we got it in time and it might not have been the pasty butt but I think it was. I did add olive oil after cleaning them and stopped the sugar water and they've been much better.
I have 11 baby chicks which are one week old tomorrow. I'm new at this but have been reading this site often. It is not difficult to remove the poo from their rearends. I had about 4 that had some hard poo on their back sides. I picked each one up and took them to the bathroom sink where I had the tap running with lukewarm water. Saturated paper towel and commenced holding it to their butts until the poo softened. It takes a bit of time but only about 10 minutes. Slowly you can pick it off once the poo is softened. Not too difficult. But you do have to remove it. Then I patted dry their little bottoms and good to go. Just be a little patient and the poo will soften. Be gentle. Now my little chicks have no more pasty butts. (so far so good)

I have 11 baby chicks which are one week old tomorrow. I'm new at this but have been reading this site often. It is not difficult to remove the poo from their rearends. I had about 4 that had some hard poo on their back sides. I picked each one up and took them to the bathroom sink where I had the tap running with lukewarm water. Saturated paper towel and commenced holding it to their butts until the poo softened. It takes a bit of time but only about 10 minutes. Slowly you can pick it off once the poo is softened. Not too difficult. But you do have to remove it. Then I patted dry their little bottoms and good to go. Just be a little patient and the poo will soften. Be gentle. Now my little chicks have no more pasty butts. (so far so good)

Pasty butt comes off surprisingly easily once it is softened. I've heard that if you pick it off while dry then it won't return at all, but i'm not sure this is true. I"ve just been using a warm wet q-tip to soften up. My babies were perfectly fine after the first week... if only i could now get them to stop pooping in their water container.
barnie.gif

I see that a couple people have stated that dehydration causes pasty butt. I hope this is true considering I just separated the one chick that has it and shes drinking like crazy

It was a nightmare for me to try to remove it. Hard as set concrete, and soaking, q-tips, you name it, didn't work much. I struggled and struggled, and they all survived, but it was thru blind dumb luck, I'm sure.

Kodster, makes perfect sense, all of the chicks that I have with Momma hens, never have pasty butt. None of them ever have, none have it, now. I also have mixes of every type of breed all in the same clutches, as the hens just start up and go with what eggs they have found. I also tuck eggs under their wings until they stop taking them to get particular birds/eggs hatched. I have bantams and standards all with the same hens and NO pasty butts! YAY!

It was a nightmare for me to try to remove it. Hard as set concrete, and soaking, q-tips, you name it, didn't work much. I struggled and struggled, and they all survived, but it was thru blind dumb luck, I'm sure.

Kodster, makes perfect sense, all of the chicks that I have with Momma hens, never have pasty butt. None of them ever have, none have it, now. I also have mixes of every type of breed all in the same clutches, as the hens just start up and go with what eggs they have found. I also tuck eggs under their wings until they stop taking them to get particular birds/eggs hatched. I have bantams and standards all with the same hens and NO pasty butts! YAY!

When you don't have the availability of older chickens for the newborns to have access to the bacteria, I have found that Sav-a-Chick works to prevent it, as well. It provides the probiotics they need for their intestinal flora, and minimizes the pasty butt issue, if not altogether stopping it, period. I was using the sugar water method that was recommended by the hatcheries, but that just aggravated the condition. Did a great deal of research and studying it, and realized that was the problem. Everyone gets disgusted with the idea of the babies eating poop, but God designed it for a reason, obviously!

I would have to say that your remarks make great sense. None of my broody hen chicks EVER have it. I'll try to put some chicken poop in the brooder, the next time that I hatch banty eggs out. Can't hurt to try it.

Back
Top Bottom