Pasty Butt Question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Judy, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Chicken Judy

Chicken Judy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2014
    Newnan, GA
    Just had to wash one of my adult RIR hens bottom off. I think I got most of it but when I put her back in the coop, yes, they started picking at her. Ran back to the house and got the blue kote and sprayed her bottom. Seems to stop it. Will they others try to pick at her on the roost tonight and should I separate her in a crate tonight? First time for me on this one.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The picking may indicate the brooder is too small or too hot, or both. be sure they water supply is constant,; they tend to fill with shavings or litter quicky, and poopy butt is basically constipation caused by dehydration. After cleaning, apply some sort of lubricant to help the next poop not stick -- anything from cooking oil to Crisco to Vaseline or neosporin, whatever is handy.

You can get ti all off if you have the patience to hold the butt under slowly runninf warm water til ti finally all softens and washes away.

Good luck!

3. Chicken Judy

Chicken Judy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2014
    Newnan, GA
    Oh these are not babies. It was an adult hen. I didn't think about putting some oil on her. I'll try that tomorrow. I may just have to give her a bath!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sorry, I missed the "adult" in your first post. Can't say that I've ever heard of plain old pasty butt in an adult. Makes me wonder what she eats or whether she has good access to water. If there is nothing unusual there, I'm afraid she is going to turn out to have an intestinal condition or infection of some sort.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by