Pasty Butt Won't Come Off! Please Help!!!!

Thx!!!
smile.png

I gave all 15 of my baby chicks a bath in shallow, warm (NOT HOT) water in groups of three at a time. After a couple of minutes of soaking most fell off on its own. A couple more minutes with some gentle washing with an old rag completed the job. After each chick was done I immediately patted them dry as dry as possible with another old cloth and then put them in a covered box to make sure they didn't get chilled. All 15 were fine. No pulled feathers and none got chilled.

Do you just hold them down as they sit in the water or do you dip only their butts in and hold them there?

I also agree with giving them a trim. I used to lose chicks due to the pasty butts and I guess one night it hit me to just trim their fluff down there and what do you know, it worked lol hope you find a way and good luck!

Chicks wiggle so please be careful with scissors at their bums! I don't know if there is any truth to it but throughout my chicken keeping years I've noticed chicks started on medicated feed would get pasty butt more often that ones on non-medicated starter. And if I had to give sav-a-chick then within a day or 2 someone would get pasty butt. I use the t-shirt material rags that dh has from work because they are 100% cotton and so soft. I have kind of long nails so sometimes a tiny scraping does it
1f62e.png
Hey, we gotta wash our hands and nails afterwards anyhow!

Wow, I just give the dried poop a good solid yank. Sometimes a little fluff comes with it, sometimes not. I have done this for dozens of chicks over the years and never had a problem with picking. You all realize these are barnyard animals, right? Not delicate flowers...

gross as it sounds I hold them gently and wet my finger tips with warm water and rub the poop off gently. yes,I know bacteria yada yadayada,lol at this age its grain poop. after its saturated(and your chicks not) It rubs right off. no painful pulling then dry vent area. may have to repeat once more but for me this usually fixes problem. good luck. bleach hands and wash thouroghly when done.

Back
Top Bottom