Pasty Butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by grullablue, Feb 10, 2009.

1. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    So I'm dealing with it here....the chicks arrived on Monday. I'm trying to keep them wiped clean with a warm cloth...but thought I read somewhere to put a little vaseline on their bums? The smell wouldn't attract the chicks to start pecking, would it?

Think I had a close call tonight.... one was not doing well at all, I thought it was on its way out. Cleaned it up, and she (well, supposed to be!) pooped immediately after, and seems to be feeling a little better now. Can't believe how quickly they can paste up again! Never dealt with this at all with last year's chicks...

Thanks!
    Angie

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Not sure about if that would encourage pecking or not ,but why would you put the Vaseline there anyway.

3. MariposaMama

MariposaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Mariposa, CA
    I used vaseline last Sept. with mine that pasted up. I tried using a wet cloth, but the stuff wouldn't come off their feathers and I didn't have the heart to pull it out. I just smeared it up with vaseline and by the next morning, the stuff was soft and slid right off. I never had any problems with pecking, either before the vaseline or after. [​IMG]

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Having the down plastered to her body by Vaseline very well could cause the curious to start pecking at her. I had one that I had to soak for quite a while to get the stuck poo to come off, when I put her back in the brooder everyone who saw her wet bottom pecked at it. I finally took her out and brought her in the house till she was dry.

5. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Give them dirt. Yep, fresh dirt. That dose a lot to keep them from pasting up. Mix in a little with their food.

6. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    I run mine under the tap on the behind until it softened, then I was able to get it off. Takes a little time and patience, after that I put baby oil on the backside and it stayed clean. I also gave them cooked egg yolks to increase protein and oil levels in the poo. I only eat one yolk to 2 whites anyway and I normally give the dogs the yolks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by