Pasty butt?

Blooie has a thread about MHP = heating pad ... I converted to it after using a 40 - 60 watt light bulb in a clamp, so much easier and the chicks do alot better in my opinion.
I did this based on her thread, too. Made all the difference! I had a BO with pasty butt. It cleared up after going to the MHP. I think the natural day-to-night cycle is better for them. They get to sleep and "reset" their cycles.

It looks more like a prolapse, or possible umbilical infection to me. The vent is protruding some, and there is a little blood. When you clean it, is the protruding part hard, like dried pooh is inside the vent area? In any case, I would clean the area gently with lukewarm water, and a paper towel, or clean rag, then apply some mineral oil, or vaseline to the vent area.

Last edited:
I did this based on her thread, too. Made all the difference! I had a BO with pasty butt. It cleared up after going to the MHP. I think the natural day-to-night cycle is better for them. They get to sleep and "reset" their cycles.

I've also learned using the MHP the chicks are calmer, less skittish and quiet :celebrate They go to sleep and wake up at daylight, love it especially when they're in the house no more constant peeping/chirping all night long :hugs

It looks more like a prolapse, or possible umbilical infection to me. The vent is protruding some, and there is a little blood. When you clean it, is the protruding part hard, like dried pooh is inside the vent area? In any case, I would clean the area gently with lukewarm water, and a paper towel, or clean rag, then apply some mineral oil, or vaseline to the vent area.
I had a chick with prolapse. Keeping the extruding tissue moist was essential. I eventually had to push the prolapse back in *very* gently using a gloved finger and vaseline. Eventually, the tissue healed and he was left with a protrusion that eventually corrected itself.

But I don't know that your chick's afflicted with a prolapse. It might be an umbilical infection. Either way, you can clean it up and keep the tissue from getting necrotic.

Here is the brooder. I am using a heat bulb and clamp lamp. I can’t say I’ve noticed if the chick is or is not drinking water.
That looks like the brooder I am using for mine, where did you get your chicks from? are they a hatch from your others or did you get them from a place like Tractor Supply? I've bought some from them and had pastie butt on 5 out of 8. I am guessing the stress of the shipping. Took me 4 days of washing their little butts for them to get past it. Warm water, soak a little bit to soften the poo, then remove it and cuddle them in a towel while they dry.

That looks like the brooder I am using for mine, where did you get your chicks from? are they a hatch from your others or did you get them from a place like Tractor Supply? I've bought some from them and had pastie butt on 5 out of 8. I am guessing the stress of the shipping. Took me 4 days of washing their little butts for them to get past it. Warm water, soak a little bit to soften the poo, then remove it and cuddle them in a towel while they dry.
I got my chicks from rural king. The chick seems to be doing better this morning but i am really thinking it’s prolapse. The vent is still protruding but no blood as of right now

Since it's still protruding, you might want to rub some Preparation H on it. That will help shrink the tissue. In a couple days, you may want to GENTLY, push the prolapse back in.
This was what I did, but I used witch hazel (I had some on hand, but I would def go with Prep H were I faced with that issue again). I ended up having to sit with the chick in my lap and hold the prolapse in for quite a while before it stayed in. He didn't much care for being violated, but he calmed down after a bit. Once I knew it was staying in, I put him to bed. The prolapsed tissue never came out, but his rectum protruded for a few weeks and corrected on it's own. I just checked it frequently. Here's a pic of the protrusion. You can see that all of the red exposed tissue was gone. He was prone to pasty butt after that, and I had to clean him off daily.
20190617_185632.jpg

But he's fine now, as you can see. Love this little guy, and I'm glad I didn't give up on him. It was suggested at first by a few that I just "cull" him. If it had gotten necrotic, I probably would've had to, but the treatment worked!
20190817_193113.jpg

Back
Top Bottom