Pasty butt?

SophiaLinn

Chirping
Apr 30, 2020
Massachusetts
First time chicken owner here so I’m probably overly cautious but I wanna ask anyone if this looks like the beginning stages of pasty butt? I know it’s hard to see but my buff orpington has a little spot on her bum. It’s kind of hard and dry. If so what should I do to stop it from getting worse?

Attachments

• 31EE0D39-2C2E-408A-B36D-B58163E5EA20.jpeg
    31EE0D39-2C2E-408A-B36D-B58163E5EA20.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 1A290A57-8EFC-4E70-97B2-9B8129F74E81.jpeg
    1A290A57-8EFC-4E70-97B2-9B8129F74E81.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 15
Pasty butt is when they poop and the poop, instead of squirting out (or dropping out) clings to the butt feathers. We had a baby that had this and the poop hardened across her anus and she could no longer poop...her poop hole was glued shut! Fortunately, we caught it in time, and when we gently washed the hardened poop off with warm water, all the backed up poop came out like a fountain. Before we did this, the chick was cheeping loudly, in obvious distress.
After that, we did "butt checks" every time we looked at them. Any dried on poop was immediately washed off with a wet, warm cloth.
Yours isn't poopy (or pasty) butt, but if you want to be cautious, just take a warm, wet cloth and gently wipe off the poop. Their little fluff is delicate, so don't pull, just wipe.

Pasty butt is when they poop and the poop, instead of squirting out (or dropping out) clings to the butt feathers. We had a baby that had this and the poop hardened across her anus and she could no longer poop...her poop hole was glued shut! Fortunately, we caught it in time, and when we gently washed the hardened poop off with warm water, all the backed up poop came out like a fountain. Before we did this, the chick was cheeping loudly, in obvious distress.
After that, we did "butt checks" every time we looked at them. Any dried on poop was immediately washed off with a wet, warm cloth.
Yours isn't poopy (or pasty) butt, but if you want to be cautious, just take a warm, wet cloth and gently wipe off the poop. Their little fluff is delicate, so don't pull, just wipe.
thank you, that’s really helpful!

Back
Top Bottom