pasty butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by team guava pastry, Mar 7, 2009.

1. team guava pastry

team guava pastry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    one little guy has a pasty butt. the actual hole is not clogged but the outter area has dried poop on it. how should this be handled? (wipies didn't work).

2. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Get some luke warm water. Grab the chick and stick it's little butt in the water and move it around. This should soften it enough to break it up. Next get some dirt and put a small pile next to the feed. This will help keep the pasties away.

3. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    We used a damp cotton ball a couple times a day. Also clipped fuzz around hole so poop couldn't cling.

4. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    If it's just a little poop on the feathers, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just check the vent (as you are doing) and make sure they poop once in a while. You can cut the poop off if you can get it away from the skin, but it is nerve wracking for me to do!

5. ilovechickens

ilovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    I was just wondering the same thing, they have dried poop stuck to their little butts, one was getting a little much and I used a wet warm paper towel. It wasn't easy, and the little gal wasn't to happy about it. If it is dried and just on the feather's should we leave it alone, and only worry if it is becoming balled up, and would potting soil work? I've never heard of the dirt thing:barnie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by