pasty butt

riotanga

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2021
Otis, Oregon
So my chicks are 6 weeks old and so far ive had no problem with pasty butt. How long do i need to keep monitoring? Do teenage chicks get pasty butt? Adults? Thanks in advance for replys

Welcome to BYC!
Your chicks should be fully feathered now, off heat and are officially pullets (or cockerels) and no longer chicks. They should not get pasty butt. It's really a term that is used for small chicks that get a build up of poop over their vent that prevents them from being able to evacuate. It can kill them.
Pullets and adult hens can get a build up of poop on their fluff under the vent for a variety of reasons. It will need to be removed and the reason that caused it determined and addressed. Leaving poop build up on a chicken can lead to fly strike in summer months.
This is why regular health checks on the birds is important. It allows you to detect issues before they become life threatening or very difficult to cure.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!
You chicks should be fully feathered now, off heat and are officially pullets (or cockerels) and no longer chicks. They should not get pasty butt. It's really a term that is used for small chicks that get a build up of poop over their vent that prevents them from being able to evacuate. It can kill them.
Pullets and adult hens can get a build up of poop on their fluff under the vent for a variety of reasons. It will need to be removed and the reason that caused it determined and addressed. Leaving poop build up on a chicken can lead to fly strike in summer months.
This is why regular health checks on the birds is important. It allows you to detect issues before they become life threatening or very difficult to cure.
thanks so much for your reply. P.s. I have a dobie too...and he is very curious about the pullets...so far so good. He keeps sticking his nose into the coop wiring and keeps getting pecked on the nose....and then he "play bows". (outside the coop of course)

Back
Top Bottom