Pasty butt

MelankaT

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2022
Kalkaska, MI
My chicks will be 2 weeks old on Monday and my rooster, King, who is a cream legbar has gotten pasty butt a lot. I’ve cleaned him off 3 times already and then just noticed that it’s coming back already. He also is not growing near as much as the hens are. Is there something I need to do differently for him? Last time I cleaned him off with warm water, used coconut oil and he pooped twice afterwards without any issues while I had him in the house away from the other hens, so I’m sure it was him. Any tips?

Hi, I'm also new here & to chickens. Tomorrow I'll have my chicks home two weeks. I noticed (the first night) my youngest/smallest chick was having pasty poop butt issues.
I've been having to clean out & change their water at 'least' 4Xs/day. As soon as I place the fresh water down they all run over & start drinking. I'm sharing this b/c after noticing them drinking well. I haven't had any more pasty butt issues. Now their poops aren't as dry. Is he drinking enough?

I'm sure the more experienced members will chime in soon.

Best of luck!

Recurrent pasty butt may be due to heat. what do you use as a heat source? what is the temp of your brooder.
if using heat lamp make sure chicks have a way to escape to cooler areas of the brooder. if using a heat plate try setting one side higher than the other (20-30 degree angle or so) so that chicks can choose how much heat they need.

Offer fresh cool water, try some probiotics but also have plain water availability.

moistening food can help get chicks more hydration.

Recurrent pasty butt may be due to heat. what do you use as a heat source? what is the temp of your brooder.
if using heat lamp make sure chicks have a way to escape to cooler areas of the brooder. if using a heat plate try setting one side higher than the other (20-30 degree angle or so) so that chicks can choose how much heat they need.

Offer fresh cool water, try some probiotics but also have plain water availability.

moistening food can help get chicks more hydration.
I have been doing moistened food and using a heat plate. I’ll adjust it to be at an angle though. I’ve been changing their water 3 times a day. Is there a good brand of probiotics to choose or just anything I can find at our local store?

Is his bottom particularly fluffy? Is there a lot of feathers for droppings to get stuck on? Coconut oil usually does the trick for me, I’m not sure why it didn’t help you help you. :idunno Good luck!
It doesn’t look like he’s any fluffier than the others. His feathers definitely aren’t coming in as quickly as the hens and he is also noticeably smaller.

I have been doing moistened food and using a heat plate. I’ll adjust it to be at an angle though. I’ve been changing their water 3 times a day. Is there a good brand of probiotics to choose or just anything I can find at our local store?
I used whatever TSC had on the shelf until my chicks went outside to the coop at 5 weeks. Now I ferment their evening feed (they have dry crumble at will).
Are you’re changing the waterer that often due to the drinking reservoir being soiled?

A waterer with nipples will keep the water clean. But you still have to change it, maybe several times a day when it's really hot. I usually dump the entire ice maker in one bucket of clean water in the morning since I"m gone all day. I have several bucket of water around, one in the coop, 3 others in various places.

I used whatever TSC had on the shelf until my chicks went outside to the coop at 5 weeks. Now I ferment their evening feed (they have dry crumble at will).
Are you’re changing the waterer that often due to the drinking reservoir being soiled?
Yes, they are getting their wood chip bedding into the waterer. I got some and will put it in tonight.

Back
Top Bottom