Feb 13, 2024
I have 5 silkies chicks that I bought from Rural King last Friday. I’m guessing they were a few days old when I’ve purchased them. Anyways, they have all had pasty butt nearly every day. It’s not super bad, but I’ve been having to clean their little butts twice a day. Some of them have crushed around their vent area but it’s not completely covered and I have tried to get it off but I haven’t had any luck. I’ve tried putting a little dab of olive oil and Vaseline around to maybe help get it off and prevent it from getting worse but that hasn’t worked either. Now their little butts are swollen and I’m sure they are raw. I try to be as gentle as I possibly can. Does anyone have any advice on how I can remove the crusty? I don’t want them to be in pain or risk hurting one of them. I posted pictures of their little swollen crusty vents.

Attachments

• IMG_9364.jpeg
    IMG_9364.jpeg
    288.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9363.jpeg
    IMG_9363.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 12
What's their diet? How hot is the brooder?

They are on starter grower chick feed. The brooder is a large dog cage. The heat lamp stays between 95-100 but I am using a heat emitter so it’s only in one corner and they have plenty of room to move away from the heat.

Attachments

• IMG_9373.jpeg
    IMG_9373.jpeg
    761.4 KB · Views: 11
Its easiest to wet the area slightly and very gently rub with wet Q-tips slowly removing as it softens. you said silkies they tend to be extra fluffy, and you can trim a little fluff around vent to help. Once cleaned of poo totally removed then you can lightly oil area around vent.

My silkies and a couple others had pasty butt at first, they've been on medicated chick starter and I added fine chick grit to the brooder. All have gotten past the pasty butt. I used a qtip and warm water to clean them off, but made sure to dry them after so as to fluff up their feathers to prevent other chicks from seeing their exposed cloaca and pecking at it. It took a while for the poo to wet down and break up sometimes, I had to be patient and keep at it.
I hope your chickies get better soon!

They are on starter grower chick feed. The brooder is a large dog cage. The heat lamp stays between 95-100 but I am using a heat emitter so it’s only in one corner and they have plenty of room to move away from the heat.

My silkies and a couple others had pasty butt at first, they've been on medicated chick starter and I added fine chick grit to the brooder. All have gotten past the pasty butt. I used a qtip and warm water to clean them off, but made sure to dry them after so as to fluff up their feathers to prevent other chicks from seeing their exposed cloaca and pecking at it. It took a while for the poo to wet down and break up sometimes, I had to be patient and keep at it.
I hope your chickies get better soon!
I have tried the Q-tip, wet baby wipes, soaking their vents in a cup of warm water and I still can’t get all of the crust off around their vents. Once I’m done getting as much of it as I possibly can off, I alternate between olive oil and Vaseline. I do need to trim some of the hair off because it looks like one of them has been being pecked at. Should I switch them to medicated food and where do you find fine grit? I have regular chick grit. The chick with the worst case is the smallest so I believe she is the runt.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    644.6 KB · Views: 11
I haven't faced the swollen vent issue myself, so after some searching around, this thread seemed helpful! They suggest having the chick eat some bits of coconut oil and treating her inflamed bum with hydrocortisone cream or Preparation H to help with swelling/discomfort-- I think it's worth a read!

Baby Chick Swollen Vent

I have tried the Q-tip, wet baby wipes, soaking their vents in a cup of warm water and I still can’t get all of the crust off around their vents. Once I’m done getting as much of it as I possibly can off, I alternate between olive oil and Vaseline. I do need to trim some of the hair off because it looks like one of them has been being pecked at. Should I switch them to medicated food and where do you find fine grit? I have regular chick grit. The chick with the worst case is the smallest so I believe she is the runt.
This is the same grit I use, I think what you are providing is great. From what I've read coccidosis could contribute to pasty butt, so maybe the medicated feed is worth a try? I don't mean to overwhelm you, just tossing around some ideas ❤️

This is the same grit I use, I think what you are providing is great. From what I've read coccidosis could contribute to pasty butt, so maybe the medicated feed is worth a try? I don't mean to overwhelm you, just tossing around some ideas ❤️
I got some medicated feed today and some Hydro hen Hopefully that will help. I’ll get some hydrocortisone tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom