Pasty Butt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChicknChic, Feb 23, 2012.

1. ChicknChic

ChicknChic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    Hi everyone,
    I need to know a good way to clean the chicks butt without hurting them. That stuff is stronger than gorilla glue. I've tried a warm wet towel and that doesn't do anything but make the chick really mad. Any suggestions?

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I make a small bowl of very warm water with a couple of drops of shampoo or dish soap mixed in. I hold their butt in the water and keep testing to see if the poo is softening. Ususall takes about 5 min to finally begin to soften. I work it with my fingers til it is all off and rinse under warm water. I try to get as little water on the chick as possible so it will dry fast. A paper towel absorbs most of the water and I stick them back in the brooder under the lamp and they stay there soaking up the rays. :) It is really easy to injury them if you try to remove it dry and leaving it can totally block their elimination. If you check frequently you can get it off before it dries.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Hold them under a stream of warm water, under the faucet. Give the warm water time to work. After it is softened, crumble the poop off, not pulling. Pat dry. Apply a bit of vasoline or oilive oil and stick back under the heat lamp. They'll be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by