1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Patchy feathers and not laying eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bawk_bawk, Sep 25, 2013.

1. bawk_bawk

bawk_bawk Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    School
    Hey, so I've been on here before but took a fairly large hiatus, but now I'm back again. My chickens haven't laid eggs in a week and they also have really patchy feathers, is there possibly a nutrient that they are deficient in?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    How old are the chickens? It sounds like they are molting, half of mine are doing it right now also since it is fall. I usually up their protein a little to help them grow their new feathers and I usually do put a vitamin mix in their water. Mine will pretty much quit laying while they are molting, depends on the hen, but most of them seem to take about two months to get going again. Double check for mites/lice (this wet weather seems to be bringing the bugs out) but my first guess would be molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by