Patiently waiting....

lizi.beth915

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
Harford County, MD
FOR MY EGGS!

My girls are 17 weeks old now & we just got the nesting boxes up this week! My dad was DONE with chickens projects after building the coop.. so that left my mom & I to build them (haha.. us building something... good joke
gig.gif
)
So we ended up just finding a $20 shelf at the craft store with 6 1'x1'x1' cubbies & added some scrap wood to the front so nothing will fall out. (Us putting that together was pretty funny, I must say. Dad ended up helping us after sitting there laughing for a good 10 minutes. lol)

We have 2 Buff Orps, 2 Australorps, 2 Barred Rocks & 1 Ancona (which looks no where CLOSE to laying yet.)
I have a feeling that the Barred Rocks will start first, since their combs are already starting to turn pretty red...
I'm excited
big_smile.png

SO NOW THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS! :)

I WANT MAH EGGIIESSSS
tongue2.gif

Are they investigating the nest boxes? They will probably check them out pretty thoroughly, and "practice" sitting in them before they actually lay an egg. They may move the nesting material around a bit. Mine ignored the nest boxes till they got very close to laying.

I believe so. I haven't actually witnessed them in there yet. But I've been finding feathers in there & some of the nesting material I put in is scattered all over the coop floor. Will I actually have to "teach" them to lay in the boxes, or will they just figure it out on their own?

Back
Top Bottom