Pattern Genetics

malndobe

Songster
8 Years
Aug 6, 2013
S. CA
I have found quite a few threads on color genetics, which colors interact with each other, which are dominant and recessive, etc. I can't seem to find any threads on pattern genetics. Such as which is dominant and recessive between barred, spangled, laced, etc.
For example if I bred a mottled Java to a Barred Rock would the resulting offspring be mottled, barred, or ?
What if I bred a laced bird to a cuckoo bird?
Any other examples people want to throw out there would be good :). I have been playing with the chicken calculator but a lot of combos have no photo and I am not always sure how to interpret the results.

Many of the patterns are genetic combinations of several different genes. For this reason it really is best to ask a specific question instead of several.

The chicken calculator is truly awesome and it will tell you everything about the genetics of patterns. Like which ones have Co, Db, Pg, Ml etc and which combinations make which patterns.

Have you seen and read this page? It covers some of your questions about patterns.

http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm

mottling is recessive. barred is sex linked dominant. both are otherwise solid black.

Result- barreds and/or solid blacks, depending on which is the parent.

Laced to cuckoo is still somewhat vague.. which laced? Because:

Gold laced x cuckoo- basically look like black sex links, maybe have spangling, partial/incomplete lacing... with or without barring, again depending on parents.

Silver laced x cuckoo- same as above, except the colored areas will be silver or golden, depending.

BUT here's the twist.... if it was Buff laced x cuckoo, you get white, off white birds. This is because buff laced have dominant white.

That's the problem with asking several and unintentionally vague questions that can have very complicated answers. Not your fault, I've been there before- asking questions that seemed so simple and straightforward then getting frustrated at nobody answering them. Looking back, I see why... I didn;t even understand the basics or thought I did when I was actually way off- and the chicken calculator and the page I linked above didn't even exist so it was a really long slog for me to learn genetics. That single page above would have saved me years and large numbers of culls lol

Hi, doesn't look like many people post here, but I'll try anyway. I'm interested in understanding the difference between speckled, spangled, and mottled and which can occur simultaneously. I know that barring (B) and mottling (mo) exist simultaneously in the 55 Flowery developed by Silverrudd. . Where do speckles and spangles fit in? I'm trying to develop my own version of the 55 with more calm, friendly docile breeds. More over a want lots of white ground and "polka dots" of color, but not in a mille fleur way but more like some Swedish Flower. The gist is, I wonder if speckles and spangles can be added in addition to the mottling and barring. Thanks.

Hi, couple of places to look.. Ask BYCers: eggheadjr And Marvin who is nicalandia They are very expert in color genetics
Then go to hathitrust digital library. At this website. Click on :full view:. With keywords:breeding laws Card:. This is a stupendous book on poultry breeding laws should come up. It's a slim volume and a fab of mine. Judge Card had a talent for making complex breeding simple. The book covers laws not opinions and theories. It covers the major and minor breeding laws of the patterns you are interested in plus much more. Best, Karen

Last edited:
Hi, couple of places to look.. Ask BYCers: eggheadjr And Marvin who is nicalandia They are very expert in color genetics
Then go to hathitrust digital library. At this website. Click on :full view:. With keywords:breeding laws Card:. This is a stupendous book on poultry breeding laws should come up. It's a slim volume and a fab of mine. Judge Card had a talent for making complex breeding simple. The book covers laws not opinions and theories. It covers the major and minor breeding laws of the patterns you are interested in plus much more. Best, Karen
Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom