Paw Paw trees

Quote:
Oops...was gonna' say you must have grown up around my part of the country - but I see you're in TN.
tongue.png
(I'm native WV hillbilly...lol).

Yep. Grew up in Southeast Ky. My Poppy had paw paw trees all around the edge of his garden, by the creek we all played in. There was always a bunch of cousins there and we were free to eat all the paw paws we wanted. And we were told over and over not to shoot seeds at each other as, according to my mother, grandmother and various aunts, there was apparently a little boy who shot a paw paw seed at his cousin and hit him in the eye which blinded him (never explained how one seed in one eye left the kid totally blind) For the rest of his life that little boy had to help his aunt take care of his poor blind cousin all because he didn't listen when he was told not to shoot paw paw seeds.
wink.png

Happily I never made the connection my mother and my aunts were going for and could hit a kid's ear and leave a mark at 20 feet.
smile.png

I have a whole grove of paw paw trees, the oldest about 20 years. Every year they are covered with the little red elf hats blooms, but few set and fewer make it. I had three last year. I think they are not getting some pollinator they need.

The odd thing about Paw Paws is that they need flies to pollinate them. Bees do not go near them. Their blooms smell of rotten meat to attract the flies. The bad thing is that flies are poor pollinators. Some people put meat at the base of the tree and let it rot in order to bring more flies to the tree.

Paw Paws are actually the only tropical plant that can stand the cold and grow in north America. It is an ancient species, and that is why it is not pollinated by bees. It was a big deal during colonial times and is only now coming back into favor.

I have planted about 15 paw paws and my experience is as follows: they need shade the first year or so but then will thrive in full sun. You will need two different varieties to cross pollinate and they should be planted within 15 feet of each other. Flies are the pollinators and do a poor job . To get more fruit you can hand pollinate when they are small and dont have too many flowers. Use a small artist type paint brush. Finally if you want a lot of fruit give them full sun after the first few years. While they will thrive as an understory tree and even flower well, they will produce few if any fruit in the shade . Simply stated, more sun will = more fruit .

Quote:

Oops...was gonna' say you must have grown up around my part of the country - but I see you're in TN.
tongue.png

Yep. Grew up in Southeast Ky. My Poppy had paw paw trees all around the edge of his garden, by the creek we all played in. There was always a bunch of cousins there and we were free to eat all the paw paws we wanted. And we were told over and over not to shoot seeds at each other as, according to my mother, grandmother and various aunts, there was apparently a little boy who shot a paw paw seed at his cousin and hit him in the eye which blinded him (never explained how one seed in one eye left the kid totally blind) For the rest of his life that little boy had to help his aunt take care of his poor blind cousin all because he didn't listen when he was told not to shoot paw paw seeds.
wink.png

Happily I never made the connection my mother and my aunts were going for and could hit a kid's ear and leave a mark at 20 feet.
smile.png

I have a whole grove of paw paw trees, the oldest about 20 years. Every year they are covered with the little red elf hats blooms, but few set and fewer make it. I had three last year. I think they are not getting some pollinator they need.

Paw paws are pollinated by flies, rather than bees. You need more than one to pollinate. Perhaps try growing more paw paw trees- about 15 feet apart for pollination. Maybe try to attract flies?

Quote:

tongue.png

wink.png

smile.png

The odd thing about Paw Paws is that they need flies to pollinate them. Bees do not go near them. Their blooms smell of rotten meat to attract the flies. The bad thing is that flies are poor pollinators. Some people put meat at the base of the tree and let it rot in order to bring more flies to the tree.

Paw Paws are actually the only tropical plant that can stand the cold and grow in north America. It is an ancient species, and that is why it is not pollinated by bees. It was a big deal during colonial times and is only now coming back into favor.
What a wealth of information! Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom