PDZ as only bedding in coop?

I was wondering if it is ok to use just PDZ as bedding inside coop? I saw a few people on youtube that use only PDZ. Any advice or suggestions? Thank you! 🙂
I wouldn't.
Although the granulated type is lower in dust than the powder, it's still pretty dusty. And it offers no cushion when birds jump off the roost or warmth in the winter if you are in a cold climate.

Tell us what size your coop is.
Many of us w walk in coops use PDZ on the poop boards under the roosts. A tiny coop may be no bigger than my poop board. I scoop off the poop with a cat littler scoop, and btw I always wear a dust mask. It is really dusty. So now the dust contains poop bacteria too, take care.

I would not use either sand or PDZ as bedding in a coop. I live north of you near Ottawa, our climates are very similar.

I use PDZ on my drop boards and think it is awesome although somewhat dusty; it is also expensive and "disappears" as bird waste drops and absorbs it. When you pick waste up the PDZ disappears, I have 12 birds and I figure it is at least 1/2 bag a month. Sand absorbs nothing, provides no cushion as the ladies land on it and most important gets very cold during the winter.

You want deep bedding using pine shavings plus (I add straw but other options exist). My coop has been operational since mid-September and I have not yet changed the bedding. The ladies love it, they root through, bath in it and pluck it off the backs of others that have been bathing. This approach does require excellent ventilation year round but otherwise works very well.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I know you asked about PDZ. I use it in the poop boards. Works great. The floor of the coop and the nest boxes is pine shavings. As suggested by others, it provides some cushion when landing and is relatively cheap. I have done a complete refresh of pine chips every 6 months. But i really don't think that is necessary. Will wait until one year this fall.

The whole back of our coop opens. That means for cleaning and scooping i am not in the coop. So the dust is a little bit less of an issue.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom