Pea chick hatched July 17, 2014/Color?/Gender?

If that Purple male is split BS, is it possible that the chick could be split BS as well or not? I would have thought it was possible, but I'm no expert.

If he were split BS the chick could be split BS but neither of those birds are BS or split BS. The black coloration at the outer part of the wing is normal. It would have to extend to the shoulders like the pictures New 2 Pfowl posted to be split BS.

Thanks everyone. So what do is my purple peacock actually called? just purple? If so, then what would his one baby be, color wise? Many thanks again everyone, these bird genetics confuse me a bit ROFL

Thanks everyone. So what do is my purple peacock actually called? just purple? If so, then what would his one baby be, color wise? Many thanks again everyone, these bird genetics confuse me a bit ROFL

That is pretty hard to say for sure. Your Purple male is a Purple "barred wing" or "wild type" not a Black Shoulder or a split to Black Shoulder, but your hen is white and that is why it is hard to tell. She could be a Purple White( meaning under the white she carries Purple genes) or she could be India Blue White( India Blue genes hidden under her white). They can have all kinds of genes hidden under the white. The chick looks male and it looks very light colored and very reddish brown, but that could be your camera? If it is that light and reddish I'm going to GUESS it is a Purple barred wing split White, but that is a BIG GUESS!

Thanks Dylan's Mom. I don't know what the hen is, as far as influence from purple or blue, this is her first hatch. Sadly, we lost the other 3 that she hatched out (naturally) and this little guy is the lone survivor, so they are currently in a tractor at the moment.

I was trying to see photos of other purples and my male has a purple sheen but not as vividly purple as others? The eyes on his tail feathers are sort of mauve and muted.

So dad is called a barred wing?

The camera is high end so its color accuracy is pretty spot on.

Thanks Dylan's Mom. I don't know what the hen is, as far as influence from purple or blue, this is her first hatch. Sadly, we lost the other 3 that she hatched out (naturally) and this little guy is the lone survivor, so they are currently in a tractor at the moment.

I was trying to see photos of other purples and my male has a purple sheen but not as vividly purple as others? The eyes on his tail feathers are sort of mauve and muted.

So dad is called a barred wing?

The camera is high end so its color accuracy is pretty spot on.

Hi there, don't put too much stock in other photos of purples unless they are on the website of a reputable breeder. This past laying season we were seeing all kinds of color enhanced pics of purples that people were using to try to sell their eggs. They were so purple you knew immediately they were not real. The picture you posted of the 2 males shows the difference quite well. It's almost like when light hits the neck you see green highlights on a blue bird and on a purple you see purple highlights. Train feathers are different too, generally the herl on a purple feather will fade from a minty green to almost a tan as the season goes by. A purple sheen is a good way to describe it. Generally people will call a purple barred wing just "purple" , I like to specify it, that way there is no chance for confusion, on a black shoulder all the wing feathers should be a solid color(not necessarily black either) on a barred wing they have the striped pattern no matter how faint it is there. This is my opal barred wing yearling male, if he were an Opal Black shoulder, those wing feathers would be a solid gray.

It will be exciting to see what your baby grows into, as I said, I was taking a big guess there! Please keep us posted as he matures, sorry to hear the others didn't make it.

Many thanks again Dylan's Mom. So my purple is correctly called a purple bar winged? And sorry, I didn't catch what you thought my pea chick might turn out, color wise, as?

OK, I cannot remember what this hen color is called. She acts like a cock, fans her tails etc., beats up my Marans roosters, esp if they are breeding. She did lay a few eggs but abandoned them and they were not good by the time we found them.

When do the pied babies start getting any white? Appreciate your help!

Many thanks again Dylan's Mom. So my purple is correctly called a purple bar winged? And sorry, I didn't catch what you thought my pea chick might turn out, color wise, as?

OK, I cannot remember what this hen color is called. She acts like a cock, fans her tails etc., beats up my Marans roosters, esp if they are breeding. She did lay a few eggs but abandoned them and they were not good by the time we found them.

When do the pied babies start getting any white? Appreciate your help!
I am GUESSING your chick is going to be a Purple barred wing that is split to white. Since mom is white she will pass 1 white gene to him and that will make him split to white. The hen pictured in this post looks like a Purple barred wing or even a bronze barred wing. I have 2 purple barred wing hens, does this one look like her?

As for pied babies, you will usually see the white areas as soon as they are born. If they are "dark pied" or split to pied they will have less white and it may not be as noticeable when they are little.
Here is a picture of day old chicks the white/yellow ones with the brown markings on the heads and backs are pieds.

Here are the same 2 pied chicks at 11 weeks now, both are boys.

So my purple is correctly called a purple bar winged?
You would just call him a purple.
Barred wing or wild type is referring to the stripes on the wing feather. If he was a purple but had a solid colored wing, you would call him a purple blackshoulder. Because he is just a purple, you call him purple. number 35 on the UPA's Recognized Peafowl Varieties listing.

The India Blue peafowl is the wild type peafowl. Most varieties are made from the India Blue peafowl and thus a new variety with the barring like the wild type peafowl (India Blue) is not called anything extra but what the variety name is - Purple, Bronze, Pied, etc would all be peafowl with barring on their wing.

Barred wing

Back
Top Bottom