Pea chicks or yearlings?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by happyhensny, Aug 23, 2011.

1. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Finally found someone selling some Peas near me. Any recomendations as to what is a better purchase -

1. 2 month-old chicks for $50

2. pair of yearlings (1 male & 1 female) for $100

They are all India Blues.

Thanks!

2. connerhills

connerhills Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Go for the yearlings ,,, same price and are better able to make it to the next year.. already sexed for sure ? .. george

3. Debbiesflocks

Debbiesflocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Washington
    X2 get the yearlings.

4. happyhensny

The chicks are $50 for 2, the yearlings are $100 for a pair. The guy has raised them since the early 90'4. What should I look for to tell gender on the yearlings?

5. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    Quote:yearlings you will have no problem telling sex in the ib i would def go for the yearling pair.peachicks are alot harder to raise then baby chicks need to be on wire for first 3 months.then you could end up having 2 males or 2 females.also they dont breed till the 2nd year so if you get chicks you are still 2 years away from breeding.good luck an post alot of pics

6. happyhensny

I got a pair of yearlings! They are beautiful! A picture of inside the crate for the way home.

[​IMG]

I'll try to get more pictures tomorrow. I was told to feed them gamebird feed. The man told me that they are IB's. There is a bit of green in with the blue. Could they be crosses or should IB's have green?

7. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:When they are yearlings they can seem to have a lot of green in their necks. Pretty boy!

8. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! [​IMG] On your new birds!! [​IMG]

9. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    i would go for the yearlings'[​IMG]'

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  10. happyhensny

I love them already. They do seem to be a bit nervous. We walk by slowly and talk quietly to them. They came from a farm where they were free-ranged all day and night, in all 4 seasons. The man said they just roosted in the trees in the winter. Well, can't have that at my house, sorry, they will have to be in their enclosure to keep them safe. We have major predator problems here. [​IMG] Do they lay fertile eggs at 2 or is it 3 years old? When will his train grow in?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by