Pea comb. Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Katbird01, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Katbird01

Katbird01 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    Mississippi
    These chicks hatched on January 1st. I'm sure I have 2 cockerels and one hen. But the one with the pea comb is confusing me. Is it a hen or a roo? They come from Auracuana hens and a Maran rooster.

[​IMG]
    The one near the front on the left side.

[​IMG]
    Another shot of the pea comb, bird on the bottom. The back birds are a roo on the left and a hen on the right with straight combs.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If they all have the same parents, I'm guessing that that Ameraucana hen is actually an EE, because she must have a recessive for straight comb. It's hard to tell from the pic, but I'm guessing that the pea comb bird is also a roo.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    That is a lot of comb at five weeks, would vote cockerel.

4. Katbird01

Katbird01 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    Mississippi
    They could be EE's. Hubby got them from a co-worker and just said they would lay colored eggs. He keeps saying they are Auracauna but I would doubt they are EE's.

Either way, I was afraid this was a roo too. I was hoping for 2 and 2 but it doesn't look like I got lucky.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    A lot of confusion between Araucana (rumpless), Ameraucana (have a tail, breed true for color, usually only available from breeders) and EE (variable color, normal tail, lay anything from brown to green, blue, pink egg, with/without beards and muffs)

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

both cockerels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by