pea gravel for ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Nov 30, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    can i put pea gravel or something down where my ducks hang out? its a muddy mess and really groos. would the ducks eat the gravel? what to do... what to do. lol.

2. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    no they wont eat gravel

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:ok, so i can put some in and they will be ok?

4. binza1979

binza1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    Half of my duck run is gravel and half was grass...come spring the whole run will probably be covered in gravel.

5. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Quote:ok, so i can put some in and they will be ok?

yep!

6. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    The dog yard was pea stone. It became the duck yard to give them a space where they dogs aren't allowed. They do perfectly fine on it. The stone is too big to eat.

7. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    My ducks have run of the entire world - and they often choose to lay on the rough kind of gravel. I do have their ponds on the gravel drive, but there is dirt and grass right next to it. Still, mine often walk and nap on the gravel. It must not hurt their feet. Pea gravel is much easier on the feet.

8. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:ok, thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!

9. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    When gravel is laid on top of dirt, and if the area gets wet, the gravel will eventually sink into the mud. Unless, you put lots of it down and pretty thick. I have pea gravel in my run about 4-5 inches thick, but it is over hardware cloth and landscaping cloth...which is great for cleaning the run...I just set the hoze nozzle on Sprinkle and hose down all the poop which washes away under the rock and out of the coop. Some people suggest using sand, but when sand gets wet it takes a while to dry. Pea gravel dries quickly since the water goes through it, so your birds stay dry.

1 person likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:This is my new project starting this weekend laying down landscaping cloth and pea gravel, will up date on how it works. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by