Peace Lily snacked on by hens

beergnome

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 4, 2010
Austin, Texas
I was potting up a few peace lilies (Spathiphyllum hybrid) and I went inside for a bit and came out and my hens were going after the houseplants. Apparently they contain oxalates. I have five hens, all two years old. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm pretty sure each bird ate some (mob mentality) and probably got ten bites each, perhaps more. Is that likely to kill them? When should I see symptoms? How long should I worry if nothing seems to be happening?

Thanks!

Burning bush is on the no-no list as well, and mine have certainly sampled them. I don't know really, but I would think if something is "toxic," that a body would respond to that toxin within 24 hours or so. I've never seen any ill effects of the burning bush sampling sprees among my girls. So if it's been a day or two and you haven't seen any signs, I'd consider them in the clear.

Chickens won't eat anything that will kill them. Ours frequently snack on ruhbarb leaves which are very toxic to humans. Our flock eats them enthusiasticaly without any side effects. Chickens also eat spiders such as black widows without so much as an upset stomach. Toxins that may kill/make us very sick don't do anything to them simply because they can break down the part that would make us feel terrible. Another good example is that humans can't eat rotten meat without getting very sick, however much of the food wolves eat is in that state. I wouldn't be too concerned with what your chickens eat because they know better than us what is good or not. ;)

Back
Top Bottom