Peach Golden Pheasants

markintexas

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
Hi, I have a couple of pairs of peach goldens. The fertility isn't great. The hens lay lots of eggs, but poor fertility. I understand that this is a common problem with peach goldens due to inbreeding. I would like to outcross with either regular goldens or a different mutation. Which variety would be best to outcross with so that I could gradually get fertile peach goldens? Thanks.

Thanks, I will try that. I give them sprouted safflower, oats, and wheat seeds in the spring and they certainly love them. But I'm worried about the extreme inbreeding that seems to be the case in all strains of peach goldens. It is odd considering how inbred Edward's must be and yet they don't seem to have fertility problems. And the same with brown earred from the 1920's to 1990's ( or whenever the new stock was brought in from China).

regular goldens.
thumbsup.gif

I believe any mention of "regular" should be "red" or just Golden as it is the nominate, wild form. Prior to the 1960s, there was no such thing as a "Red Golden", just Golden (no one outside the breeding world calls the species red golden). The Ghigi is perhaps the only "mutation" I trust, I have suspicions the others have outside influences.

Dan

Good points, Dan, I could never understand adding the word "Red" to Golden myself... Used to give me the feeling of something other than a normal Golden Pheasant... But I've gotten used to it and I guess it serves a purpose... I am pretty much with what you say on the mutations other than the Ghigi...

Hello I have peach goldens and I have a high fertility rate ! My peach males are aggressive and I have them penned next to each other ! I don't seem to have an inbreeding problem ! I would recommend just breeding them with other peaches from other breeders

Back
Top Bottom