Peach Peafowl any health or genetic problems?

I don't have my peach "paired up" for breeding this year. My replacement 2yr old peach hen is in with Roadtrip and his bssp gang. Tonight I got what I'm sure is the second egg from this peach hen,it is quite a bit longer than the other girls eggs and I've grown used to gathering these hens eggs for the 3rd season now. My peach male is in with a group of 2 year old hens I'm keeping,along with a Opal b/s 2 yr old male and a white male 2 years old. The hens in this group are bssp,pied,white,opal b/s and bronze. I doubt many of these hens eggs gets fertilized this year,the wet weather we've had is making it impossible to build new breeding pens and in another 2 months it will be too late anyway.

Would you mind me asking where your Peaches came from? Pm me if you'd prefer.

Well - breeding of low quality is not going to advance him ... I would do the same - let it live out its life - keep notes on all life cycle issues - and look for another ....

I want to start - and to start with only peach - I am just starting my research now - and am 6 months to a year or more from purchasing a bird - I just can't wait ! :)

I only have a yearling spalding peach male and two adult peach hens not spalding, they all look fine, the male has low percentage of green blood, maybe adding some green blood in peach color will help? just a thought.

Does anyone know if crossing the less than genetically sound peach male with something like a standard IB, will eliminate those bad genes or is it a case where once the bad genes are there they, are passed on no matter who you breed with? Just hoping to give my friend options other than culling.
sad.png

Well - breeding of low quality is not going to advance him ... I would do the same - let it live out its life - keep notes on all life cycle issues - and look for another ....

I want to start - and to start with only peach - I am just starting my research now - and am 6 months to a year or more from purchasing a bird - I just can't wait ! :)

Good luck, I am always leery of trying new things. I much prefer to let others test the waters first, because of that I will stay away from peach for awhile. Hopefully this thread will give you some good info.
smile.png

Does anyone know if crossing the less than genetically sound peach male with something like a standard IB, will eliminate those bad genes or is it a case where once the bad genes are there they, are passed on no matter who you breed with? Just hoping to give my friend options other than culling.
sad.png
I'm not saying that your friend has to cull, just don't breed with him. Around here, I've got too many birds to pamper a weak bird that shouldn't be bred with. My birds are not pets, and I keep them for their genetic potential, and as soon as I don't need that particular bird, it gets sold. Breeding with an IB wont eliminate the bad genes. Likely it will make them resurface again, as you're going to want to use the offspring to get more peach.

For those interested in purchasing peach, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg. There are many breeders out there with high quality birds that don't cost what Legg charges. Check out the UPA breeder's directory, and maybe ask if any of them have a guarantee on them not carrying this ailment. I suggest Hopkins, Louden's or Big Creek Peafowl. I've also heard other rumours that the spalding peach (and Cameo) have never had this ailment.

I'm not saying that your friend has to cull, just don't breed with him. Around here, I've got too many birds to pamper a weak bird that shouldn't be bred with. My birds are not pets, and I keep them for their genetic potential, and as soon as I don't need that particular bird, it gets sold. Breeding with an IB wont eliminate the bad genes. Likely it will make them resurface again, as you're going to want to use the offspring to get more peach.

For those interested in purchasing peach, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg. There are many breeders out there with high quality birds that don't cost what Legg charges. Check out the UPA breeder's directory, and maybe ask if any of them have a guarantee on them not carrying this ailment. I suggest Hopkins, Louden's or Big Creek Peafowl. I've also heard other rumours that the spalding peach (and Cameo) have never had this ailment.

I know you're not saying he must be put down, but I also know when there is limited space as you said and as is the situation with my friend, there is often difficulty keeping a bird with no breeding value. I myself am a sentimental hobbyist and I am quite attached to some of my birds( others I might pay someone to take
wink.png
) so I would have a hard time culling, but I do know what you mean. You are also on the UPA forum, correct? My friend frequents that forum, but hasn't joined BYC yet. Do you know if there is any info on UPA regarding these issues with Peach?

Haven't visited that forum for a while, not many people using it, unlike here. I will have a quick check though.

DylansMom,A few years ago many were selling cameos as peach. I watched a trio of Cameos sell at Mt Hope,for $750. The auctioneer said they were Peach tho.I was also standing next to Brad Legg when they sold and they appeared to be spalding cameos but do not look like my peach.The peach hen who is blind came from Brad Legg,I bought her last year as a 1 year old. Started noticing late last summer she wouldn't fly up to her perch anymore and seemed to be guess stabbing at the water bowl and feed. So I seperated her off into a small pen inside my garage where she spent all winter along with late hatched peachicks. At first I thought maybe the trio of birds she was with(Cameo's) had possibly pecked at her and injured an eye but it never had any cuts or blood but rather developed a catarac-haze over both eyes.
I Spoke with Brad in Feb-March this spring about her and he offered to replace her with a 2 year old peach,which he did with no money being exchanged. I now have the blind peach hen in with my one year old birds.Each afternoon when I feed them I go get her and bring her inside to the feed and water but since she's no longer inside the small pen inside the garage,she isn't used to a new pen. Undoubtedly I should put her down but she is very responsive to my voice and I think she is figuring this out.
My Peach male came from Bigcreek in a swap deal for my Brinsea 190 incubator. He seems fine and he actually came from Deermans hen,and Deermans peach came from Sid Drenth. My concern at the time was to get genuine peach from proven breeders so noone could say they were cameos,which I also have and there is a big diffrence in color if you can see them side by side.

Back
Top Bottom